myturbodiesel TDI Wiki is now up and live

Discussion in 'site comments/suggestions/corrections' started by chittychittybangbang, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The Wiki/FAQ has replaced 1000q: diesel DIY and FAQ index. It appears to be working correctly so I've redirected the old articles to their new locations.

This is V1.0 of the wiki. Links in the articles are still pointing to their old locations in the FAQ pages. A few articles such as the wheel gallery and buying guides have not yet been finished and will not be for some while so they are pointing to their old locations.

If you like a page or value it being accurate and not filled with spam or wrong information, please use the "watch" option to receive alerts, with or without email notifications.

Until this point, I've personally updated and verified the accuracy of over 400 articles and thousands of pages worth of information. A wiki lets the community make the edits. However, I've left a few pages "premium access" so I can actually make some money off my years of work. Please don't move the premium articles' information to the public wiki.

This is also to ensure the accuracy of torque specs for timing belts and cylinder heads. If someone vandalized a public article with critical torque specs, it could really mess up your car so please use some common sense when following a DIY article. Your continued use of the site or use of any information from the site signifies your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use Agreement legal disclaimer.

The site sponsors provide support so I can keep everything running. Please don't add commercial links to non-sponsors. If you wish to advertise, please send me a message to apply for site sponsorship.

Articles originally created by the public will stay in the public free access areas. The premium articles are just a few out of hundreds of my personal DIY.

Using the WIKI

A few notes on using the wiki - you can type and use BB code as if you were typing in the forum. There are some formatting options for text, indentations, and bullet points. For security reasons, html is not allowed. Because the old FAQ was static html pages and the new pages dynamically loaded, you may notice it's a few milliseconds slower. This is due to the page characteristics and overall greater server load.

Anyone can create a new page but only the admins can delete pages, rename/redirect pages, or delete attachments. This is done for security reasons. When you create a page, please make the title unique and descriptive. I may edit it for organization. If the title is a duplicate of an existing page, it will return a server error message.

If you want to test your wiki editing skills, use this page: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/test-page/

If the article is specific to a model, please make it a "child" article under a FAQ subindex. If it's general to diesels or specific to many models, just leave it under no "parent".

You can view the history of an article under the "history" tab and compare each revision to the current revision.

There is an article-specific discussion tab that can be enabled by a moderator or admin. If there is some dispute about edits or you wish to start a support thread specific to a wiki article, please notify the admin and I'll create a thread linked to that article.

To upload pictures or videos: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/thread...ost-pictures-videos-or-attach-filesfiles.617/ Please don't host pictures in a 3rd party website because these usually disappear. Attach them to a specific wiki article so that they don't get lost. Again, only admins can delete attachments because once it's deleted, it's gone.

To create a table, you have to use templates. Using html would be a security risk so you have to use templates and bbcode. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/special/templates For example, to create a table with 3 columns, you would type (I have to add spaces to the word "template" so it doesn't show up as a table) (your edits would be in red, my comments are in green)

[tem plate=tablestart]title=yourtitle[/tem plate] This starts the table. Enter your table title under "yourtitle".
    [tem plate=tablerow-3column]cell1=data for cell 1|cell2=this is the second table data block|cell3=moreinfohere[/tem plate] Each row has to be typed as shown, with a | dividing each cell.
    [tem plate=tablerow-3column]cell1=this is the second row|cell2=somemoreinfo|cell3=pics work here too[/tem plate] The available templates are shown in the link above, right now I have 3, 4, 5, and 6 column tables. To add rows, just add another row of these.
    [tem plate=tableend][/tem plate] Tableend ends the table. You must start and end the table for it to work.

These templates will only work in the wiki, not the forum. You can't leave cells or the table title blank so if you want them to be empty, just enter a period .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    sam19, Sohail and MarcoB like this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It appears everything is working so I've redirected the old articles to their new locations.

All registered members can make edits. Guests/nonregistered members cannot make edits.

If you see any server issues or page not founds, please post in this thread so I can fix it. There's a few articles which aren't 100% finished or formatted but are readable. Again, it's going to take a while to fix all the links but they should all be redirected and working without issue.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    sam19 and williamgd2 like this.
  3. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    so how do you add an article? I don't want to edit the whole page.

I want to pass on a few photos and notes. changed the antenna on my 09 JSW and did not really see what I needed before.

sam19 likes this.
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hold your mouse over the wiki tab at the top of this page or go to the wiki index.

You will see "Create new page". If it's specific to a certain generation, put it under that generation for "parent page". If it's general or specific to multiple generations, don't put it under any parent. The parent is for navigation purposes.

Thanks in advance!

sam19 likes this.