My VCDS Tweaks

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by Keithuk, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi guys.

I've made this thread before but Chitty said that pictures of each tweak would be useful so I've done another tweak today and added all the pics in my album.

Now all these are done on a 2010 UK Golf GTD with a genuine Ross-Tech HEX-COM-USB cable and 10.6.40 software. If your using different cable, software and model then maybe things won't all tweak the same for you.

Tweak 1 - Heated Rear Window Timer

Now the reason I changed this setting is because on my previous cars the rear window would stop on for about 15 minutes the Golf its 10 minutes. If I go to work on a cold winters morning it can take up to 15 minutes depending on traffic. I would put the heated rear window on but before I got to work it would have switched off and start to mist up again.

First of the main screen when you start up VCDS you have various options to click.

[​IMG]

Now its a good thing to click on the Options button the click on the Test button to make sure you are connected to the EOBD socket correctly, there is a green LED on the cable connector that lights up. You should get a message back if it checks out ok. You can click Save or Apply settings if you have changed anything.

From the main screen click Select that will show you all the Installed options available with different tabs for different areas. Click 09-Cent. Elect. Button.

[​IMG]

Then on Cent. Elect. click the Adaptation - 10 button.

Select Rear Window & Outside Heater Activation Time from the combobox.

[​IMG]

The default Stored value is 15 - 10 minutes, Set the Stored value to 21 using the up and down buttons and click Save and then click Done, Go Back. This will extend the timer to 14 minutes. There is a tooltip of what the settings mean?

Tweak 2 - Extend the Indicator Tap Flasher

Now Chitty has shown this in How to change the number of blinks the turn signal makes per tap on your mk5-mk6 VW and CECM adaptation

Now its not a bad feature this I mainly use it on motorways but with 3 flashes by default someone could miss a couple if they aren't looking.

Click on 09-Cent. Elect.

[​IMG]

Then on Cent. Elect. click the Adaptation - 10 button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Select Comfort Turn Signals (Cycle) from the combobox. That will show Channel 31 and the Stored value (default) is 3. You can change the number of blinks from 1 to 5 using the up and down buttons. Don’t bother typing numbers into the New value box as the Save button won’t be enabled, just use the up/down buttons. Click Save when done and then click Done, Go Back.

Tweak 3 - Seat Belt Chime/Reminder

Now I never drive without a seat belt but there are a couple of occasions when the beeping becomes annoying. When I go to the supermarket I take a bag of bottles/jars for the bottle bank. I drop them in the bins and get back in to drive and find a parking space and it keeps on bleeping away. When I drop off my drinking buddy here unclips his belt has we are coming up to his house which is only 30 yards but it bleeps away again.

[​IMG]

Navigate to 17 - Instruments

[​IMG]

Select Coding - 07

Select Coding - Long Coding
    Continue with arrow down on keyboard until Byte 1 is showing then untick Bit 1

[​IMG]

Then back to the main window and click the Do-It button, a message coding accepted will show. Its the bleep I wanted to disable but this does both the bleep and the warning light.

Now any coding you change is saved to \Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug\CodingLog.TXT so at least you have a file with any coding changes you have made so you can change the numbers back if need be?

e.g. Seat belt
    Tweak 4 – Cluster Staging / Gauge Needle Sweep

Now I've seen this feature on YouTube a few times but they only show the Golf GTI doing this. I searched around and a user on another forum who has a GTD as enabled this feature on his.

Now this will depend which type of instrument cluster you have fitted it must be an "H" (US) or "D" (Europe) - "G" will not work. If you want to know how you find which type of cluster you have read here

Select 17-Instruments

[​IMG]

Select Adaptation - 10

[​IMG]

Select Staging from the combobox

[​IMG]

If it hasn’t been changed it will say not active in the Stored value

Select active from the New value combobox and click Do It!. You will get a message are you sure you want to change not active to active just click yes.

[​IMG]

Now when I activated mine I turned the ignition off then on and the needles didn’t sweep I tried this a couple of times. I turned off and removed the key then inserted it and turned on and the both needles swept.

Well those are 4 simple tweaks that I've done I hope I didn't bore you too much? I hope the info with pictures was easy to read and understand. If there is anything you didn't understand then pleas add a comment and I will see what I can amend for you.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
    login to remove this ad
  2. TDIStevestr

TDIStevestr Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 4 Door DSG
    You're lucky. In the states we get the "C" cluster on our TDI's - no sweeping. I tried to go in there and even see if it would take and it gives an error. :annoyed

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well I've read alot of threads on a GTI forum and the guys in the US mod this it must be the TDI's that doesn't have the later 'H' module. Its only a novelty thing not really important.

After 460 views your the only one thats made any comment?

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I seem to recall a thread a while ago somewhere I said there is a newer VCDS software out and Chitty said keep us informed I can't find it at the moment, if any one finds it please PM me and I'll move this.

I started up VCDS over the weekend and it said there is a newer version out do I want to install so I did. You can download the latest version Release 12.12.2

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  5. Airstreamer2526

Airstreamer2526 New Member

Car:
    NewBeetle/2000
    Great info.
    I'm new to this and with limited funds your screen shots help with the understanding.
    thanks.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I made the same thread name 12 months ago but Chitty asked if I could add some pics as it would be easier to see what was happening so I made this new thread.

7. riverwind620

riverwind620 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Mods:
    PIAA Light bulbs-VAGCOM cable 5-blink lane change-
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Seat belt disable

I have not been able to complete this with VCDS

8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Did you follow the tutorial exactly?

Well unless they have disabled it on 2012 models its works on my 2010 Golf.

9. riverwind620

riverwind620 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Mods:
    PIAA Light bulbs-VAGCOM cable 5-blink lane change-
    I got it to work finally. Thanks for the tutorial.

10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    So this feature is available on 2012 models.

So what did you do differently this time?

11. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi guys.

I recently joined the Ross-Tech forum and a guy on there has posted an external link to VCDS Tweaks. Golf VI

You will see links for tweaks of other models on the left. Its a German site so you have to use the translator.