My New to me BMW... Still a Diesel!

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by DubFamily, Mar 10, 2017.

1. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Hey all! Just realized I hadn't posted anything about the new car yet, so I figured I would add this and post some details. It's a certified pre-owned 2014 328d xDrive, saddle brown leather interior and mineral white exterior.

I searched hard to find this car, most of the '14s I found in the DC area had a few of the packages I wanted, but did not have the lighting package (adaptive Xenons). From what I'd read, the base halogen lights on the F30s are horrible (like rated worst by multiple groups horrible) so I wanted to avoid those at all costs. I drive in a lot of rural areas where there are no extra lights, so I really needed to be able to see, and even my Golf headlights were barely adequate. So when I found this car in Pennsylvania, about 160 miles away, it was worth the drive to grab it.

Along with the lighting package, it also has:
    • Luxury line package
    • Navigation package
    • driver assistance package
    • Premium package
    • Cold weather package
    Couple interesting features it has so far: The nav package adds BMW apps, connected drive, and enhanced bluetooth functions so I can listen to Spotify or use some other apps. The upgraded nav includes a hard drive you can store music, movies, audiobooks, etc on as well, so I have about 6 gb of music stored right now. It also includes real-time traffic which has been pretty useful. It has 3 drive modes (sport, comfort & Eco pro) though additionally you can shift the transmission into sport mode ("enhances" sport mode further); and it has 2 stage traction control defeat. It also has engine start/stop tech that seems to work pretty well, it's useful in city driving and light traffic, though it gets a bit annoying in heavier traffic at times. So far I am averaging right at 37-38 mpg, but I've been playing with it pretty hard too so I can't complain :D

[​IMG]

About the only thing I am not a fan of is the chrome trim... I plan to wrap all that in satin black and replace the chrome kidneys with black ones shortly.

Finally, a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbsup

2. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    That's a sharp looking car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzBeBop and DubFamily like this.
  3. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
  4. virgopelo

virgopelo Member

Car:
    VW JETTA 2006 tdi, AUDI A3 2012
    gorgeous car ,

DubFamily likes this.
  5. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    Thanks man! Really loving it so far; finding one with the lighting package at a minimum was key; but finding one with my favorite interior and the extra packages was just icing on the cake!

:nana

6. rtk

rtk New Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328d Sport Line
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta TDI - White Gold over Cornsilk with DSG & Nav. Going back to VW on March 27, 2017.
    Beautiful car! I really liked the Diamond White color, but those are harder to find as I believe that paint color was available at a cost.

Did you get real time traffic information (RTTI) included in your 328d? I have ConnectedDrive setup and download the application to my phone so I can operate the lock/unlock, horn and climate control remotely. But real time traffic required a $50 subscription. Plus I believe there is an iDrive update available (which I put on a USB drive and uploaded to the car.)

7. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    Thanks man! I haven't seen diamond white, just Alpine and mineral; must be a special order color?

I negotiated a year of RTTI and connecteddrive apps along with the purchase, as I didn't want to pay unless they were worth the cost. I have the app as well, just wish it could start the car :)

8. rtk

rtk New Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328d Sport Line
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta TDI - White Gold over Cornsilk with DSG & Nav. Going back to VW on March 27, 2017.
    Agreed, it would have been nice to start the car remotely. Or even track the car on the app from more that .67 miles away. (The app told me that "due to privacy", I couldn't locate my car that far away. Something to remember if you go wandering away from your car on a long walk!)

I think the 2014 BMWs got 10 years of Connected Drive service, but the RTTI was not part of that. So good that you negotiated that in! I just activated mine and it appears to work pretty well.

DubFamily likes this.