My car is unable to start

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by obiwonken, Sep 22, 2011.

1. obiwonken

obiwonken New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2001
    Hi everyone,
    I am new on the forum. I recently took delivery of my VW Passat Model 2001 a couple of months ago. It came with a set of keys. One had the button with VW logo on it with a light that comes on when it is pressed. The other key does not have any VW logo on it and does not have any light that comes on.

At the time of delivery I have been driving the car around with this second key without the VW logo. I had no problem. Car moves like a dream. Unfortunately I was not around and my brother wanted to drive the car and he used the first key that has flashes a light once the VW logo is pressed. Since then the engine has refused to start. The engine starts to turn but does not complete the cycle. Once the key is put in the ignition, an indicator of a key comes on which I understand means that the car is immobilized.

Does any one know what I should do to reset the immobilizer so that the car can start?
    Thanks..
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/immobilizer-VW-Audi-FAQ.htm

Read this for some basic troubleshooting. It should not be activated but it sometimes does for no reason. Please note that the immobilizer should still let the engine turn over and run for 1 second, then shut off. If it does not even start to run, there is also another problem.welcometomyturbodies
  3. obiwonken

obiwonken New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2001
    My car refused to start

thanks. I have read the FAQ. Like I said the engine starts to turn but as soon as I press the pedal to rev it, it goes flat...Still the indicator of the key showing the car is immobilized is on...what can I do. I have both set of keys.

Should I point the key that flashes a light when I press the VW Logo on it somewhere?

Thanks
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The problem is that the computer is confused and thinks that you used an incorrect key. This is not right, so try the troubleshooting steps. Beyond that, it sometimes goes away on its own. You need some diagnostic tools to go any further or you can find a dealership. Just keep trying to use the key. If it does not start at all, there is another problem, maybe low battery?
  5. obiwonken

obiwonken New Member

Car:
    VW Passat/2001
    the car started the next morning. validates the statement that the computer is sometimes confused.

Many thanks for the response.

Obiwonken