Moving in Michigan! Need some input.

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by BOWZ, Nov 7, 2015.

1. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    MALONE STAGE 1, EGT BOOST, PANZER PLATE, SBC STAGE 2 DD, .658
    Well we are moving from Little Rock Arkansas to Michigan. I got a job in downtown Detroit that I will be at for at least the next 4 years. My wife will be going to grad school for that time. My question is where to live? We are looking at University of Michigan Flint for her. I took this job for her to go back to school so the 1st priority is the biggest.

1) keep wife under a 20min commute

2) have at least a garage with maybe a pole barn

3) 1+acre

I currently commute 1:15-1:30 each way to work. Traffic can get bad but nothing compared to big cities(Miami, Seattle). What am I looking at for commute times with rush hour. Winter? What times are rush hours?

She also has a opportunity to go to school in East Lansing. What would be the scoop on travel to Detroit from out west.

Any input on areas would be great. Resale, schools, crime rates, taxes is helpful also. Thanks in advance!

Bowz

login to remove this ad
  2. Gwasserm

Gwasserm New Member

Car:
    2010 jetta tdi
    Flint is far away. Water is poisoned; town died 35 years ago. Crime very high. Lansing is better. My son goes to MSU. I'm putting up my home in W Bloomfield for sale, if you are interested. Why post on this blog?

3. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    MALONE STAGE 1, EGT BOOST, PANZER PLATE, SBC STAGE 2 DD, .658
    Thanks for the input! Joke about the water? or for real. We would live outside of Flint, around 20 min trying to get away from crime. Would that be enough? Hope to be south of flint to get me closer to Detroit. I currently commute 62 miles each way to work so I am not afraid of some seat time. I would be getting into Detroit before 7am and would hope to leave around 2. I belong to a few forums and figured I would toss it out here and see what people have for input. I'm headed up there over thanksgiving to scope it out. Thanks again and welcome more!