1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

MK3 milage

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Genos, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Genos

Genos Member

Car:
    97.7 TDI Jetta
    Mods:
    Gt wing & GTI Flyer wheels.
    Hello all, my '97.7 Jetta on the last tank went about 460 miles& I filled her up, think I got about 39.4 mpg, mostly city driving. Checked pump timing w/Ross-Tech,dead-on middle of graph. Set EGR duty cycle.Last tank I think I was about 42 mpg, Is this normal variation, colder weather coming, more warm-up time,etc? I put a head on her a couple thousand miles ago, no problems, engine temp seems a little low, 165-170F,should change t-stat?anything else to get more mpg? cars a great runner, starts fast no issues,has 5-speed. Would 15 inch tires help? Wish it was 5-bolt rims,is it possible to change hubs?. thanks Genos
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Hello, A lot of people over here in the UK change their hubs for the five stud on various vags but you can also buy adapters. I don't think the tyres would make much difference personally but I could be wrong. Your mpg seems a bit low if it's a 1.9tdi. Is there a chance of miss calculation?