Mk1 Caddy tdi conversion

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Hui, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Hi Guys,
    I'm new here but from what I've read so far this looks a fantastic forum.
    The mk1 caddy pick-up I'm customising for my son was saved from the scrap yard. I then bought a MOT fail mk3 golf with a 1.9tdi engine 1z code. Every thing has now been transfered over including the cable gear change and hydraulic clutch. The remote brake servo along with half the bulkhead has also been swoped over.
    I'm at the start up stage now and the engine fires but quickly cuts out. The ecu, ignition key with transponder belong to the engine but the dash cluster was faulty when it was in the golf and needed the dash top hit to get the oil, charge and pre-heat lights to work. I've ordered a cluster from ebay with the correct part no. and hope this solves the problem.
    If any of you Guys have any pointers then I would be glad to hear/see them.

I've fitted an intercooler from a mitsibushi L200 where the battery once was and now need to fab some louvers into the bonnet. The battery will be re-located behind the passengers seat.

Hui
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Is it anything like this? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f23/a1-td-3509/ You may be able to find some tips there.

The mk3 Golf shouldn't have an immobilizer but since you're in Scotland it's possible. If that is the problem you probalby need the SKC to use a new instrument cluster. Is the immobilizer light on saying that it's active?
  3. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Hi there,
    Nice straight Caddy.
    Yes our caddy did once look your photo. It now boasts coil over shock front suspension, the rear has been lowered using drop plates and the axle is wider by 40mm or so. it also has Jaguar sills welded in place to make up a body kit made from steel. eventualy the door hanles will be shaved off along with the bumpers etc.
    I'm not too sure about the imobiliser type etc. It does have a transponder in the key, the ring around the steering columb is wired to a cigarete packet sized black box. The engine used to run fine but only after hitting the dash to get the cluster to light up, It's been a while since the engine was removed from the golf as the Caddy project has taken a long time but my Son does not recall an imobiliser light, only ignition, oil and pre-heat. When these lit up the engine would start right away.

I would like to post a photo of the Caddy project but I don't know how.
    I can make honey from sh*te with a welder and metal, I'm not bad with all things mechanical but electrics and computers, well thats a bit different.

Hui
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  4. darren

darren New Member

5. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Caddy's running without dash cluster

Hi guys,
    Thanks darren for the upload info, I've had a go and used the upload from my computer option and managed ok to get the picture on to my message but when I tried to see them and write a caption it did'nt work. Never mind I'll try again later and get my son to help.
    Anyway I've sussed out how to get the mk1 caddy running without the dashboard connected as the engine was starting and stopping right away. The dash was not lighting up for some reason so I replaced it with another and it was the same.So either both dashes have the same problem or it's something else thats wrong.
    The mk3 golf tdi that the 1Z engine came from dash would not be an easy fit into the caddy and my son doesn't like it anyway so the plan is to use after market clocks and gauges with flick or push switches, kinda like an aero plane or race car. So, as the cluster is part of the link and the engine won't run without it, I set about figuring out how to by-pass the cluster. It turned out to be quite easy and the engine is now running, ok it won't charge the battery untill I wire up an exciter bulb to to the alternator.
    I think the hardest part now will be to get a fuel gauge to work with the caddy's original tank sender which I would have had a problem with the golf's dash anyway. An after market speedo usualy takes a signal using a magnet and pick-up from a wheel or brake disc, I've used these on motorbikes before so shouldn't be a problem.
    After all this time and work it was a real boost to hear the engine.

Hui
  6. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Conversion pictures

OK Guys,
    I've uploaded three photos as an execise to see if I can do it. I noticed that some pics are no problem but the ones of the engine bay before paint would not load. Anyway these will give you the idea. Still to fit the air filter and you'll spot the gas rams for the bonnet.

Caddy build 18.JPG

Caddy build 9.jpg

Caddy build 16.JPG

Hui.
  7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Looks real nice! How did you bypass the instrument cluster?
  8. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Cluster bypass

Hi Chittychittybangbang,

On the transducer/transponder black box there are two plugs, on the six wire plug (biggest) you'll find a gray/white. Run this to the same on the main ecu.
    run a switchable live to the black at the plug and make sure the two browns which do join together about 50mm away from the plug are earthed, they should be as they only go about 300mm to an earthing eye.
    If you want to retain the diagnostic socket then run the plain gray from the black box to the gray/white at the diagnostic socket.
    The alternator won't charge as there is no dash bulb to excite it. If you find the correct wire for this at the two wire plug on the alternator,all you need to do is earth it and this will cause the alternator to charge. or you could put a bulb between that wire and earth and this will act as your warning lamp. Don't use an LED bulb as this has no/very little resistance and won't trigger the regulator on the alternator.
    I've not done the charge lamp yet as I now need to think about how to make a whole dash cluster.
    This info might be quite handy for other 1Z conversions and the imobiliser is still active which might please some but personaly I would do away with it if I could.

Hui.
  9. hotroddr

hotroddr New Member

Car:
    Looks good, will be watching this one ..
  10. conk111

conk111 New Member

Car:
    golf mk3
    hey hui,
    i know its couple years old now, just wondered wat intercooler you was using under there, as im about to do this conversion myself and yours look very neat and tidy

cheers adam
  11. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Ah you found the single wire then? I only just seen this thread but had the exact same issue with a mates caddy to tdi transplant. One wire?

The Mk1 is an awesome looking little beast, love them, get a lot of them come along to meets with the local club. You should join up

http://www.scottishvag.net/index.php

Maybe get a chance to see this thing in the flesh. It does need to be lowered a little though with some nice wheels, not slammed though, not my thing at all but just a wee drop looks nice.
  12. Hui

Hui New Member

Car:
    VW mk1 caddy
    Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay.
    The Caddy is still a work in progress and has been placed on the back burner for a good while now.

Anyway, it's a Shogun 2.5 turbo diesel intercooler I've used in the Caddy.

Hughie
  13. Vwdasherguy

Vwdasherguy New Member

Car:
    Mk1 Volkswagens
    Intercooler

I believe he said it was an Icooler off of a Mitsu L200. I'm planning to use one off of an L400 myself as it has a fan built onto the housing.