matching springs to struts

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by PGLAN, Mar 7, 2012.

1. PGLAN

PGLAN New Member

Car:
    1999.5 Jetta
    My mk4 Jetta has 229,000 on the clock and I am going with Koni reds. My springs seem soft and I am thinking of going with vr6 springs all around. I do not want to lower the car but keep a stock hight. Wondering about feed back if I am on the right path or shoud I go with stock springs?
    Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I think the VR6 ones might actually lower it by about 20mm but not sure, the gti's etc are like that though and I suspect the VR6 might be the same. Uprated shocks with standard springs wont do any harm anyway, it'll still improve the overall handling.
  3. PGLAN

PGLAN New Member

Car:
    1999.5 Jetta
    Thanks Seatman....just felt that the vr6 springs being about the same price as stock might work better but I do not want to turn the car into a truck.
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I think you'll probably find that the uprated shocks even with standard springs will still feel a good bit tighter and it will improve the ride. Old springs just get worn out and become very soft and floaty, the shocks also wear out and don't really absorb the bounce the same way so they affect traction and comfort in a negative way. If you like to drive a bit mad now and then though sports springs aren't really horrible, I've just fitted them on my car today and I'm loving it but I also went with a 35mm drop for looks too. The roads around here are fine and I still have plenty of clearance for the track I live up. But anyway if you want to maintain comfort and just have the car feeling nicer standard springs and some uprated shocks is a good way to go.
  5. Calidris96

Calidris96 New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
    Mods:
    Sigma-5 shifter, Panzer FMJ, Koni FSDs, towing spr
    One newbie to another, I replaced my suspension at about 210K with Koni FSDs and the stiffest springs I could find because I wanted a little more clearance and the ability to tow a small trailer. I got the Euro towing rear springs and VR6 front springs (from idparts.com). I was a little worried about a rough ride, but have been extremely pleased. I got about an inch of lift, never bottom out, fantastic cornering, no body lean to speak of, and a pretty pleasant ride on poorly maintained back roads. The set up fit my needs to a T. Maybe not what you're looking for, but I'm a believer in the FSDs. Certainly doesn't feel like a truck. That's my $0.02.
  6. PGLAN

PGLAN New Member

Car:
    1999.5 Jetta
    Well, I ordered Koni Reds and new stock springs. This seems to be the best set up for me to keep the stock hight. Also ordered install kit with all bushings ect.
    Thanks for all your input.