Manual transmission fluid - please help

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by ken w, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    I'm new here, but have had my Jetta since 2011. It's a 2010 TDI 6M. Now, at about 60K miles, I decided to change the manual transmission fluid. Seeing that the VW product was about $30/liter, I did some research and found RMEuropean.com carried Fuchs Titan Sintofluid SAE 75w-80 with a product number G052-171-A2 just the same as the OEM fluid, for about $16/liter. Ordered 3, waited almost a week. The oil arrived today, but the label does not specify G052-171-A2. It does meet VW specs G 052-911-A1-A2 and VW 501 50. It is an API GL-5.

So is it ok to use this product, or do I have to get the OEM GL4? I tried contacting the vendor, but they are closed Sat & Sun. It seems to me the product they should have provided for the vehicle is Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE 75W.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Don't use GL-5, only use GL-4 gear oils. Most Gl5 is not good for the synchronizers but I don't know if that applies to that specific fluid. The chemistry could be different. I would not use it until you contact the vendor.

Also, make sure to read the mk5 DIY article in the FAQ for this. The trans is tilted so the fill hole is too low. You have to top off separately or else the level will be too low.

3. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I'll wait to hear from the vendor. What bugs me is they sold this product specified for this vehicle. Seems just wrong.

As for the low fill hole, I saw the FAQ, but it specified the '05-'06 5 speed. Does it apply to the '10 6 speed also?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, and thanks again.

4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not sure but I would assume so since the chassis and mounts are the same, so measure the amount drained. The mk6 Jetta is different.

5. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    Follow-up:
    Went to Fuchs Lubricants website and confirmed that the 75w-80 GL5 product is wrong for the 2010 Jetta TDI. And that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w is correct. Sent that along to RM European.com, and they agreed they sent me the wrong fluid. Hopefully, they'll figure out how to send it back to them at their expense. In the meantime, I've ordered some OEM fluid locally. Probably should've done that in the first place....Hoping this info will help someone else considering the transmission oil change.

6. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Manual.
    I now have a 2010 Jetta TDI CJAA 6 speed stick. I am going to change the trans gear lube and will be putting in the Amsoil MTG 75W90 which is a GL4 lube. The 2010 car has to be level I assume to drain and fill correct, not like my old 2006 BRM 5 speed as with the oil level, one could only get 1/2 qt in. The fill hole was too low so was a real pain to get the proper amount of new lube oil in. The drain and fill on the 2010 trans are a 12 point or an allen drive. Thank-you all for getting back and your input is most appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    FXDL you don't say where you are from?

CJAA, 140PS

07/09-07/13 - GOLF
    07/10-, JETTA, CANADA ("CDN"): COMFORTLINE, TDI-CR
    07/10-, JETTA, CANADA ("CDN"): SPORTLINE, TDI-CR
    06/09-, JETTA, CANADA ("CDN"), USA ("USA"), TDI-CR
    07/09-10/10, JETTA, TDI-CR
    04/11-, NEW BEETLE, TDI-CR
    09/09-05/11, GOLF, CANADA ("CDN"), USA ("USA"), TDI-CR
    05/11-05/13, GOLF, NORTH AMERICAN REGION (NAR): TDI-CR

VAG Engine & Transmission Codes

8. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    From what I've read, the drain and fill holes require a 17mm hex drive. Will know more once I get the correct fluid in. The vendor is selling me 3 liters but will take an unopened one back if I don't need it.

9. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    Final report:
    Got her dun.

The local vendor had 3 liters of the right stuff waiting for me today. $20 per, which I think was very fair. Made in Germany, GL4, with the correct VW spec- G052-171-A2.

I used rhino ramps, which gave me adequate room to work on a sheet of cardboard, rather than a creeper.
    Dropped the front plastic shield. [9 x 25 torx screws in front and sides, and 3 x 30 torx bolts in the rear.]

The fill and drain plug both require a 10mm hex bolt [Allen] drive.
    Removed the fill plug first. No overflow. This tells me all the stuff about not being able to fill thru the fill hole was wrong. I drained the tranny, and measured the amount. Just about 2.2 liters plus or minus.
    Refilled using a pump, and put in around 2.3 liters plus or minus.
    Wasn't sure of the correct torque, read varied amounts, so set it to 26 foot-lbs. Felt about right.

On a scale of 1-5 of difficulty, this was a 1. No harder than changing motor oil. The pump helped a lot.

Pics should be clear. The fill hole is marked with a green arrow, the drain hole with a red arrow.
    As for RM European, they admitted their error, but have yet to advise me how to return their product - at their expense.

Hope this helps somebody else thinking about doing this job.

oil front.jpg oil.jpg drain plug.jpg oil jug.jpg IMG_0216.jpg

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the information about the fill hole. 1 question though, if the car was on rhino ramps, wouldn't the car be tilted back so the fill hole would be pointing up?

11. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    Yes, CCBB, you are correct. When I saw no overflow from the open fill hole at the start, I knew that I could safely fill to at least the required amount without overflow. That was the problem in the write-up in the FAQs section, which required filling from a higher level. By measuring the amount that came out, and replacing it, I believe I am at or very close to the right amount, erring on the side of a little too much.

I thought about keeping the car level, but opted not to. Measuring amount out and replacing seemed like a reasonable alternative. Other opinions are welcome.

12. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    Keithuk, I am from Barrie Ontario Canada and I now have a 2010 Jetta TDI. My 2006 was a black hole for m0ney as they are the biggest piece of crap VW ever made. The 2010 requires some 3 qt of gear lub. Will do it with the car level. The old 2006 with it level, you could only get some 1/2 qt in it.

13. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    offtopic

Well, please update your car spec and add your location?

14. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    I tried to up date. Where does one go to here to do so?

15. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    The 2010 TDI 6 speed trans takes 4.9 pints US, I believe is correct?? So just shy of 2 and a 1/2 US qtrs. Or 78.4 OZs to be exact for the 4.9 US pints. 4.9 US pints is 2.772 US qtrs. If my math is correct. I will use the Amsoil 75W90 MTG as it has a very low pour point of -65 degs F., and is a GL 4. The Amsoil site says, if correct says 4.9 pints. I will measure what drains out from the trans., and go from there. Will also drain when hot. Will be putting on ramps to drain.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    As asked by Ken w. " As for the low fill hole, I saw the FAQ, but it specified the '05-'06 5 speed. Does it apply to the '10 6 speed also?"

17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    FXDL, I updated your profile manually. You can change any details by clicking on your username on the upper right of the page and going to personal details.

I believe it applies to the '10 but the original poster had his car on ramps so it was not level. If the car is tilted up, obviously the fill hole will be higher. What's more important is that the amount drained is replaced.

18. ken w

ken w New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    If you look at the photo I posted before of the black jug, you can see the oil level as it came out of the transmission. Approx 2.3 qts, or about 2.2 liters.

19. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    Thank-you for making changes and how to do now myself. I added the 6speed manual, so simple to do eh.

20. FXDL

FXDL New Member

Car:
    You say the 2010 is the same for the fill hole being too low as the same on my old 2006 5 speed manual correct? I made an adapter from a new fill plug that puts the fill hole level higher, one just has to remove it fast and install the plug like wise. Hole drilled in the plug and a nipple welded to the plug and from that a 90 elbow to another 4 inch nipple. One must only fill by a measured amount only as required for the trans, year and model # as with the adapter the trans can be overfilled big time. NOTE In the case of my old 2006 that was the only way to put the correct amount back in, as only 1/2 liter came out so who ever had done before did not know any better or it was a dealer mech., and they did not give a crap. To drain and measure what came out is a good idea, but not a sure thing. I believe to measure what came out is good to see if done before was done wright and the correct amount was put in. But more important the amount you get back in is the correct and best way as per specs for your trans.. So also to put on ramps on a some what of an up grade would be good so as to get all the required amount back in VW's better idea.