Malone, Revo, Rocketchip, Stage 1

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Jan 1979, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jan 1979

Jan 1979 Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    18 ' Motorsport Wheels,Stenadyne, H&R Sports Sprin
    The more I am looking into Stage 1 for my 2010 TDI the more confused I get. There seem to be so many opinions out there. Can anyone speak from experience about their tune and why they chose that particular one?
    login to remove this ad
  2. jettawolfs98

jettawolfs98 New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2009 LED Tails-Amber GLI grill
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well there are loads of TDI chiptune companies out there if you google it them sorry I can't recommend one. If I did decide on one I would probably choose DTUK.

Your is a 2010 therefore you have one year left on the warranty unless you have done more than 60k. So if you took your car into the dealer for a warranty job depending on what the job is like engine then they can plugin their diagnostics and it will tell them its been chiptuned so the warranty could be void.

There are companies out there that do the plugin boxes so if it goes into the dealer you unplug and remove it and it doesn't register in the ecu so they are none the wiser. The other advantage of these boxes is if you have a problem you can unplug it try it again to see if its the box or something else with a chiptune you can't you're back to the dealer or the tuning company.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  4. d2305

d2305 New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta
    Jeff at rocketchip seems to the preferred vendor.
  5. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Well, I happen to be partial to Rocketchip, but... it appears that he's a one-man operation, and unless you are in his vicinity or at one of the Get-Together locations where he appears, it's rather difficult to get one of his tunes. (Some people remove their ECU's and mail them to him, but that's a bit cumbersome...) Malone has many distributors out there, and I believe some of the others (Kerma?) send out hardware that you use to modify your own car and then return.

All the well-regarded tuners have their strong points, and there doesn't appear to be a consensus as to which one may be "best" for any one car...

You may take your aspirins now...

Yuri
  6. d2305

d2305 New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta
    I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to mess with my ecu unless it was broken. Everyone at the other forum seems to have good experiences with Jeff.
  7. Jan 1979

Jan 1979 Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    ReVo

So far my best customer service experience has been with Revo. Unitronics did not answer my email and revo's tech manager got back to me in 2o min with dyno charts and realistic expectations.
    Dtuk quoted great numbers but when I asked what was the horse power and torque gain at the wheels he had no data. For everyone out there thats interested most gain numbers are quoted at the engine not at the wheels.

Jan
  8. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Really? You didn't think you'd start a piss fight with a different opinion for each person posting here?

They all accomplish about the same thing, Malone has a cult following and is apparently the most experienced. They are the only ones with a DPF delete tune, so if you ever decide to upgrade to stage 2 that'd be cheaper.

Revo has an SPS tool. It allows you to switch between 4 tunes (all tunes are in your ECU, the tool just picks which one is the active one). This allows you to have warranty service and have your dealer update ECU software without you losing your tune (you switch the car to use the VW tune, take it in for service, they do their thing and then you switch back). IF the dealer completely erases your ECU and re-flashes it, then you'll lose your tune. With all other tunes, you have to tell the dealer not to update the software on your ECU or you'll lose your tune no matter what and you'll have to have it re-flashed.

Other than that, see who's local. Nothing beats having your tech right there that you can go to in case there's a software update or you need to re-flash your ECU due to the dealer erasing your custom tune.

Stay away from tuning boxes.
  9. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDI 4 door
    Why stay away from tuning boxes? www.tunit.com out of UK been selling tuning boxes for 13 yrs no problems and they warranty their box for 3 yrs and are insured w lloyds of London. Europe has been having diesel engines since ever so I would imagine that they would have more of experience but then again I'm no expert
  10. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Others may be more informed to answer this, but there's a difference between fooling the ECU into believing something is there, when it isn't and reprogramming it to do something different.

Think about it this way, the ecu has many fail-safe mechanisms built into it, they use the data from the various sensors to know what the status of the engine is. Why would you over-ride them with bogus data that is meaningless? If there's ever a problem you can use a diagnostics tool because all your data will be fake. This renders the most important feature of having a logging ability useless.

Sure it might work, but it's a $25k car, why save a few hundred on something as important as the engine?
  11. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDI 4 door
    The problem is that once you remap your ECU, take your car in for warranty, service etc you maybe subject to repair work due to you messing around with ECU. Tuning boxes are not traceable, are removable, etc whereas flashing your ECU is not... United States maybe catchup up but it will never have as many diesel 3 or 4 cylinder engine car than in Europe... All this Hybrid BS is ALL political, electric cars etc. why can they make a diesel hybrids??? They would work better, more efficient, and won't suffer from performance like most "hybrids" do... No thanks I'll stick w diesels until that happens if ever...

Besides, who runs more diesel cars than in Europe!? Nobody..
  12. sledstorm1

sledstorm1 New Member

Car:
    Golf mk6 4dr tdi 6mt
    Has anyone tried a stienbauer tuning box on one of these cars?
    WWW.steinbauer.cc
  13. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDI 4 door
    Never heard of them.... But w so many "tuning" boxes out there it worth to do some further research
  14. falsetto

falsetto New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    REVO 1
    I just had a Revo stage 1 installed on my 2011 Golf. The change feels dramatic. There is a problem with a DSG safety override in some new ECUs... and mine is one of those. There seems to be a buck while shifting... sometimes scary! As if the engine was somehow quickly turned off and on at full throttle. Revo is aware of this and working on a software update. The tune works great with paddle shifting and in Sport however... so well in fact, that I'm not sure that I would go back to the factory setting regardless. They say that they will have a fix in a few weeks. Quick and thoughtful tech response. I understand that Malone has solved this override...
  15. Jan 1979

Jan 1979 Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    DSG

I am glad to hear that the change is very noticeable, I have a manual tramsmission so i assume there would be no problems for me shifting.

Ps Plese keep me updated on fuel milage as well, quite curious about that.
  16. Feyd

Feyd New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI

I had my REVO stage 1 tune installed with only 3-4k on the clock and ran it through just over 22k.

Loved the power, but I too had the DSG bucking issue... After months of waiting for a fix my dealer and REVO ultimately decided that they couldn't figure out what was causing the problem or how to fix it. I was flashed back to stock and given a full refund. I'm happy that they stepped up and gave me my money back, but it's a shame because I really did like the added power.

I just couldn't help but think that what I was feeling couldn't have been good for my transmission and since I plan on keeping the car for a while, I didn't want to damage the DSG.

Long and short of it is if you are having the DSG bucking issue, it doesn't look like REVO knows how to fix it yet and seeing as how they are saying only a few people are experiencing it doesn't seem like a high priority to do so. Food for thought.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    I am a Rocketchip fan. Jeff Robertson has done my cars since, well, forever. He is professional and does stand behind his products. That said, I live 20 miles from him...
  18. falsetto

falsetto New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    REVO 1
    Hi Fayd, Chip at Revo says that someone is coming in from England to help solve this... and to give them a few weeks. I can live with this for a while anyway....I just stay off the gas while in D! My mileage has suffered a bit, but the fault is in my foot. Usually before showing 38.8 average, and now showing 37.3 ish. It's all my doing, however. I would be curious to know if anyone with a Malone tune had this problem before it was solved. It seems that the extra torque tells the ECU to ease the power during the shift, then dumps it back like a bolt of lighting if your foot is down. I'll let you know what happens...