1. docmor

docmor New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI
    I have an 2003 Jetta, automatic TDI with 165000 miles on it, I've only had it for about 3 months and checked the MPG on the last 2 tanks of fuel and it is only getting 30 to 31. Ive put on a new timing belt, changed oil with synthetic, new air filter. The car runs good not slugglish with no TDCs. I am going to run some Lucas injector cleaner through it to clean the injectors and pump.
    Can anyone steer me on the next steps too get the MPG up or should it be better than 30 MPG. Also I do not have the program to check the timing with but do have access to a Modis but I am not sure if it has the ability to read timing. Does anyone know if this is possable with the Modis?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Sticky brakes, underinflated tyres, timing, IQ level, there just a few things that would be good to check. No idea on the modis.
  3. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    With 165K on the clock, I would check and compare speed and rpms with other members at 40, 60 and 80mph, just to verify that transmission's clutches still have good friction. It is possible that your engine is running at higher than needed rpms to achieve certain speed.
  4. docmor

docmor New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI
    I have checked with a GPS and it is registering 1.5 miles faster than GPS at 55 mph, I have also checked the breakes for binding, tire presures, wheel bearings, Im not sure about the IQ thingy though:D. I am thinking it has to do with the timing because when I did the timing belt, I had the cam position plate in place, the pin in the IP, but the mark on the flywheel was closer the the back side of the inspection hole instead of the front. The car was running great and plenty of power so I locked the crank down and changed the belt. Nothing moved during the belt change and all the marks and cam position and pin in the IP were still in place. From what Ive read so far the timing is mainly set by hand and not by the computer, is that right.
  5. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9

:) not that type of speed check. For an example: we have the same car, and mine for an example is at 2500 rpm when going 70mph, your might be at 3000 rpm to go 70mph so ask other members who have automatic trans to tell you what rpms they have at 40 60 and 80mph.
  6. docmor

docmor New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI
    What kind of mileage do you get with your car, and what do you think about the engine crank mark being off that much.
  7. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    about 38-41 city 50-53 highway Mine is manual with Kumho low rolling resistance tires. 2005 gls tdi (bew)
  8. maycraft19

maycraft19 New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta Wagon
    I am driving a 2003 jetta wagon tdi, manual tranny, Over 230,000 miles, it has always been very consistent with the mileage. 41-42mpg on a 90 mile per day commute consisting of 70mph + stop and go traffic. Maybe 30 miles highway and 15 miles stop and go.

Will try to remember to check my rpm at varying speeds on monday, will let you know.
  9. docmor

docmor New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI
    I got a chance to check the RPM verses MPH last night and at 40MPH/1450RPM, 60/ 2150, and 70/2500.
  10. maycraft19

maycraft19 New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta Wagon
    I did not remember to look until I was in traffic, so the only rpm vs mph reading I got was 45mph=1550rpm. 2003 manual transmission jetta wagon tdi.
  11. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    you need members with the automatic trans
  12. gfloresv

gfloresv New Member

Car:
    AUDI A4 '06 TDI
  13. docmor

docmor New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI
    I have a friend that has a 2000 Golf TDI with Standard shift, He is getting 50 to 51 out of his although he is commuting about 60 miles a day at 40 min hwy & 25 min. city driving. We did the timing belt on his the other day and afterwards it was slow to cranking with some black smoke afterengine started, mph also went down some, he changed the timing at the IP sprocket some and the thing is starting like it did before and mpg is back up. Needless to say I ordered the VCDS solfware and cable today. If the timing is that finicky, I will set the timing after every belt change, or at least check it to see if it is in permiters.