Loss of Turbo boost pressure.

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Derbyman02, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Derbyman02

Derbyman02 New Member

Car:
    Seat Altea 1.9tdi 2007
    Hi, I have a 2007 Seat Altea that I have owned from nearly new. It is fitted with a 105hp 1.9tdi Pumpe Deuse turbo diesel with the BXE prefix. The car had a service at a VW dealership at 27,000miles and I was told that there was a small oil leak at the lower intercooler pipe seal, as the car was still under warrenty the mechanic said I should take the car to a Seat dealer which I did, the repair lasted about a month before oil started weeping out again and a whistling noise appeared. The car has now done 41,000 miles but for the past 5,000 miles it seems to be losing boost pressure at between 1,500 to 2,000 revs which is when it whistles, it sounds like a balloon losing air. It is obviously the intercooler seal that is the problem but try as I might I can't fix it. The new seals appear to be of a softer material and seem to be loose when in place, by the look of them they are manufactured to seal at pressure. VW recommend installing them with red rubber grease but that is no better. I have tried using PTFE tape under the seal which makes it a tight fit but that only helps for a short time until it blows the grease out. I want to avoid using a permanent seal as I may have to pull it apart later on also I don't want to use anything that may end up going through the intake. I am now on my fourth set of seals and getting sick of it. I can't find any other updated seals although the problem appears to be widespread, any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks for your time.

Dwightmc likes this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    welcometomyturbodies

I've read of this before is it not something to do with the way the pipe clips on rather than the seal?

Dwightmc likes this.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    YEs, it's possible the quick connect clips are worn down or for whatever reason, you have a problem with the hoses. Forget using tape, as you have found out, they will get blown out. See if the replacement hoses are a tighter fit. Otherwise, you have to use a thicker seal and clamp it down.

4. Derbyman02

Derbyman02 New Member

Car:
    Seat Altea 1.9tdi 2007
    Hi, I've thought about just using a standard nitrile o'ring in a bigger size but the VW seal has a design that appears to encourage it to expand under pressure, it just doesn't seem to be thick enough to start with and if you go to a VW parts counter they just say that's the right one for the job. The intercooler pipe has metal ends to it and they seem to be ok, it's just the seal. The original seals were made of a black material but the new ones are green and softer, maybe the updated ones make the problem greater. I think I may need to find a more understanding parts man.

5. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  6. Derbyman02

Derbyman02 New Member

Car:
    Seat Altea 1.9tdi 2007
    Thanks Seatman, I'll try that website. I've been trawling through lots of websites and there seems to be a lot of talk about the problem but no cure for it as yet.

7. Derbyman02

Derbyman02 New Member

Car:
    Seat Altea 1.9tdi 2007
    Leaking intercooler pipe seal.

This is the cure to my leaking intercooler pipe problem. This is a bit long winded but bear with me, it may be worth it. The leak was caused by a faulty SOLENOID VALVE BLOCK just behind the engine, it has six vacuum pipes coming out of it. The valve block controls the vacuum that operates the variable turbo's boost pressure it also operates :panic::panic:the EGR valve and also the EGR changeover valve, the valve block itself is controlled by the ECU. I found the fault accidently while poking around under the bonnet (or hood) of the car with the engine running, my wife turned off the engine and I heard a groan coming from the valve block, Thanks Hazel!!!
    The duff valve block was causing the turbo to overboost at lower rpm's which in turn caused the leak at the intercooler pipe seal. The fault also seemed to confuse the ECU as it was producing what appeared to be unrelated fault codes for other things too, eg, 05784(P1698)read fault memory of steering column and 00895 cruise control switch (E45) defective and engine readiness test showed EGR FAIL. These have all corrected themselves since I fitted a used valve block from an online breaker, £45 instead of £834 for a new one, (OUCH!!!), The car runs so much better now (feels like a new car), is quicker, with no air leaks and also has better fuel consumption. I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem,

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    Dwightmc likes this.
  8. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I will add this to either the low power or limp mode article. Which do you think it applies to more?

Can you take a picture of this solenoid valve block? I'm not sure what it is. Can you provide a part number?

Dwightmc likes this.
  9. Heath RItchie

Heath RItchie New Member

Car:
    Golf 1,9L Tdi BXE 2007 105 hp/77kw Sportline
    Mods:
    AUX, rust treated panels, spongy springs and leaky shocks