Loss of steering feeling on curves

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by FirstTDIinMS, May 1, 2012.

1. FirstTDIinMS

FirstTDIinMS New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    Feels like I have no steering if I hit a light bump in the road at interstate speeds in left hand curves. By "bump", I mean such as the connection between the road and a bridge. Steering feels tight and I have solid control and response from the steering wheel in the curve but when I go over that "connection" it feels like the steering wheel just goes completely away meaning I can no longer feel the road through the steering wheel and feels like I have no control. This only lasts for a second or two but is very noticeable. Seems to happen on left handed curves but that may be due to the majority of the high speed curves are left handed on my route. I've taken curves a little too fast at times causing the traction control system to take over and it works like a charm but this is a completely different feeling. Anybody else notice anything like this??
    Btw, 21k miles on my baby now and loving it!!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    My guess is that it's related to the electric power steering tuning. Can't adjust it. It also corrects for crosswinds. Electric power steering felt unsteady to me at first, now I'm used to it.
  3. FirstTDIinMS

FirstTDIinMS New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    This is the first car I've had with electronic power steering tuning so I have no idea of what to expect from it but that makes sense now that you've reminded me. It's a very strange feeling especially the first couple of times it happened but it's not a big deal now that I've come to expect it and thanks to your insight, I'll stop worrying about it. Appreciate the info!
  4. clarkent5477

clarkent5477 Member

Car:
    2001 VW GTI, 2012 VW TDI SE SunNav
    Oh, I'm so glad to read this. I had the exact same thing happen on my car. I went through a curved freeway interchange at 60 MPH and felt the steering go limp for a second. It was a little weird the first time, then experienced it again.. As if I went through a puddle and the front end skipped. I imagine its part of the traction control, but who knows. I'll try to make it happen again.

I've also noticed that there's some clicking under the dash when I try to get too ambitious with turns, corners, etc. Like if the car senses too much tension on the steering, it starts making adjustments maybe? Haven't crashed the car yet, and it starts fine in the morning, so I'm not worried about it.
  5. FirstTDIinMS

FirstTDIinMS New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    I've noticed the same clicking noise while going a little too fast in curves and just assume that it's the stability control since I also feel it in the steering wheel and the little dash light comes on. But like I said, this is my first car with stability control so don't really know what to expect. Good to know that I'm not the only one that noticed!