looking to raise the boost

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by grizzly, Jul 22, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

just picked up a 1998 jetta tdi.

it's already got a chip, would adding a boost controller help much?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Welcome, check out the FAQ called 1000q (1000 answered questions), it is also listed in the stickied post at the top.

To answer your questions, if you already have a chip, a boost controller would help marginally since you have a conventional wastegate style turbo and a electronic solenoid type controller would help keep the wastegate shut until the desired pressure. A spring type manual controller won't be as helpful so I wouldn't spend the money on it. In short, just leave it as is since you say you already have a chip.
  3. miker

miker New Member

the best thing you can do is install a free flow exhaust.

It will increase noise and emissions but also increase power. Personally, I would install a chip and leave it be. A chip is the best value out there for performance mods
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    to give you some ideas, the blitz sbc boost controllers are probably my favorites ecause they use a very large solenoid and can go up to the high boost pressure that diesels see, 36 psi max. however, it also costs $500.

spend your money on a chip first.
  5. He said he already had a chip...spend your money on new shocks and mounts/bushings. They are probably worn out on your car if they haven't been changed yet.