Looking for advice on transmission

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Jon.from.Maine, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jon.from.Maine

Jon.from.Maine New Member

Car:
    Toyota Tacoma 2005
    I am looking at the 2012-13 Passat TDI and have always had a manual transmission. The DSG handled very well on the test drive and I'd appreciate some comments before I make a final decision.

Thanx!
    login to remove this ad
  2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    What comments are you looking for? The DSG is a "manual" transmission with an automated clutch system, so it will drive more like a manual anyway.

Or you can get a Passat TDI SE with a 6 Speed manual if you prefer to fully row your own gears; either transmission is a great choice, really just up to personal preference :thumbsup
  3. Jon.from.Maine

Jon.from.Maine New Member

Car:
    Toyota Tacoma 2005
    The DSG is geared slightly differently, but worked well during city test drive. I saw the comments on the 40k mile service needed.....sounds like $270+ for DSG service over the manual. Anyone have any break-down issues?
  4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    DSGs had some issues early on, but they are pretty solid these days. The service cost every 40k can add up if you aren't prepared for it; and they do seem to get a few MPGs lower than a manual does (generally 2-4 mpg difference).

At 70 on the highway, the DSG turns about 2200 rpms while the 6th gear of a manual turns about 1800 iirc.