Looking for advice on transmission

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Jon.from.Maine, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jon.from.Maine

Jon.from.Maine New Member

Car:
    Toyota Tacoma 2005
    I am looking at the 2012-13 Passat TDI and have always had a manual transmission. The DSG handled very well on the test drive and I'd appreciate some comments before I make a final decision.

Thanx!
    login to remove this ad
  2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    Mods:
    Golf R Steering wheel, E-Brake handle and Shifter \ Sport Pedals \ Torque Pro App \ Clear Sidemarkers
    What comments are you looking for? The DSG is a "manual" transmission with an automated clutch system, so it will drive more like a manual anyway.

Or you can get a Passat TDI SE with a 6 Speed manual if you prefer to fully row your own gears; either transmission is a great choice, really just up to personal preference :thumbsup
  3. Jon.from.Maine

Jon.from.Maine New Member

Car:
    Toyota Tacoma 2005
    The DSG is geared slightly differently, but worked well during city test drive. I saw the comments on the 40k mile service needed.....sounds like $270+ for DSG service over the manual. Anyone have any break-down issues?
  4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    Mods:
    Golf R Steering wheel, E-Brake handle and Shifter \ Sport Pedals \ Torque Pro App \ Clear Sidemarkers
    DSGs had some issues early on, but they are pretty solid these days. The service cost every 40k can add up if you aren't prepared for it; and they do seem to get a few MPGs lower than a manual does (generally 2-4 mpg difference).

At 70 on the highway, the DSG turns about 2200 rpms while the 6th gear of a manual turns about 1800 iirc.