LIMP Mode

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Gordon's, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Gordon's

Gordon's New Member

Car:
    Hi All,
    I am thankful for this forum and am hoping that someone will restore my faith in Diesel.

I have a 2006 1.9 tdi jetta that has 126 000 km on the clock and is repeatedly going into limp mode.
    At 86 000 km I had to replace the turbo. At 100 000km the water pump & timing belt. And now at 126 000 km limp mode - Engine Warning light with the caption Emissions Garage. The car is extremely light on fuel but with all this maintenance and hassle I'm not sure if it is worth the saving.

I took it to the dealer in Gaborone Botswana - I waited for over 1 month - They couldn't fix it. I have since taken it to 2 different mechanics for 1 month each respectively and they couldn't fix it.

I find that if I don't exceed 2500 rpm through the gear change it doesn't go into limp that easily but before any trip is over it will experience limp mode and I must restart the car to get any performance out of it.

Error codes I noted at last mechanic were P1643 & P0234 but the number of different possible causes is alarming. You would think that in this century the diagnostic report could be a little more closer to the actual fault. If the MAF or any other sensor is shot why doesn't the diagnostic just say which part is shot. It's been trial and error to no avail with lots of parts replaced.:bowdown

I have checked all fuses - no problems. One mechanic said I should remove the catalytic converter - done to no avail.

I have seen the forum's post on Limp mode but am not a mechanic so a little lost.

I am at my wits end - Just want a mechanic that knows what he is doing close to Gaborone Botswana Africa??.:bowdown

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Car: 2006

Please add Jetta the model as we hate guessing?

There is a limp mode thread in FAQ if you search.

VAG Error Code: 18051
    EOBD II Error Code: P1643

Fault Location:
    Please Check DTC Memory of Electric Load Controller

Possible Cause:
    Fault Code stored in Central Electronic Control Module (J519/#09).

Possible Solutions:
    Check Central Electronic Control Module (J519/#09) for Fault Codes.

Special Notes:
    This Fault Code is only a Note referring to relevant Fault Codes stored in another Control Module.
    When found in 2.0l TFSI (AXX/BPY/BWA etc.), check Steering Wheel Electronics for Cruise Control related Fault Codes and general Cruise Control Functionality. See TPI 2017317 for Details.

VAG Error Code: 16618
    EOBD II Error Code: P0234

Fault Location:
    Boost Pressure - Regulation Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) ON.
    Boost Pressure too high.
    Reduced Power Output.

Hoses incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking.
    Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty.
    Boost Pressure Sensor (G13) faulty.
    Turbocharger (TC) stuck/faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Charge Pressure Control System.
    Perform Output Test (to check the Turbocharger (TC)).
    Perform Basic Setting (to check the Charge Pressure Control).
    Perform Pressure Test to locate Leaks.
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75).
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G13).
    Check/Replace Turbocharger (TC).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  3. Gordon's

Gordon's New Member

Car:
    1 code = 1 fault

Thanks Keith,

I will take the info to the next mechanic. I will take your detailed guide to the mechanics also.
    The vehicle is a 2006 1.9 tdi Jetta as stated (what other ref did you mean)?

Thank you for checking the codes for me.
    My point is that surely VW can create 1 code for every fault instead of having 3 possible faults for 1 code? Eg.
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75).
    Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G13).
    Check/Replace Turbocharger (TC).

The TC is a major component - surely that should have an individual code?
  4. sa_tdi

sa_tdi New Member

Car:
    2005 BEW Jetta
    Gordons,

Do you have a BEW engine? I'm currently experiencing some of the same issues and have a 2005 BEW. From what I've read it can be turbo vanes sticking, an N75 issue to a vacuum or boost leak or a few other problems as stated above too...