Limp mode / accelerator problems

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by almarioni@yahoo.com, Jan 9, 2012.

1. almarioni@yahoo.com

almarioni@yahoo.com New Member

Car:
    Isuzu Rodeo 2021
    I own a Rodeo Isuzu 2001, automatic, 4 cylinder and have had a problem for some time regarding the rpm/accelerator. When I am driving, especially uphill or when I accelerate after a red light turns green, the rpm shoots up to 4 or 5 and the car kind of slows down. I take my foot off the accelerator until it corrects itself. I am thinking of changing the throttle position sensor and the accelerator sensor, but before making that expense, i would like your opinion. I just hope is not the transmission. Thanks for your advise.
    login to remove this ad
  2. x31337x

x31337x New Member

Car:
    2012 Tiguan SE 4mo
    It sounds like it could be either the transmission or possibly the torque converter.
  3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Sounds like a slipping clutch, slipping automatic transmission or torque converter.............

Have you checked for fault codes? A faulty TPS might set a code and the TPS and an accelerator RVDT (rheostat) could be monitored for correct operation with the right scanner.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  4. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    -check transmission oil level
    -replace transmission oil
    -check air filter
    -to check transmission clutches shift into D and speed up to 50mph
    then shift from D to 3 or 2 if you don't have 3 you should see car slowing down then when you get to about 30mph shift into 2 or 1st the car should slow down even more. If you don't notice any slowing down when downshifting then that particular clutch set is worn. It could also be your catalytic converter clogged.