left foot braking override

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by wrightwinger, Dec 13, 2012.

1. wrightwinger

wrightwinger New Member

Car:
    none yet
    I'm looking at replacing my old car. I really like the new sportwagens, but I can't buy a car that won't let me actually drive it.

Does anyone have experience with overriding the brake override that overrides the driver from left foot braking?

I've been researching, and researching, and keep coming up iffy.
    I know you can brake, THEN gas, but I need both.

I don't want any responses saying left foot braking is dumb.

I am not a race car driver, I am a commercial driver. I drive for a living.

I need brake+gas at the same time to recovered understeer and to lock differentials in the snow.
    My old car is an old chrysler, I love that it obeys it's driver, but it's getting old.

I also have a post on ABS if anyone has any feedback on that with the vws.

these "safety" overrides at best take the fun out of winter driving, and at worst, act like a spooked horse trying to kill you.

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VW-Audi got pretty spooked after the driver induced runaway Audis in the 80s and it's all drive by wire so if possible it would require an ECU reflash from a tuner.

3. dangrass

dangrass Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    How about using the handbrake? Does a great job of locking the rears on snowy roads and will definitely allow all the oversteer you could possibly want.

4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Only DSG cars override the accelerator pedal when you hit the brake. Get a manual :thumbsup

5. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    The brake switch over rides the throttle on the older manual cars too. Are you sure it doesn't on yours?

6. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Not true... Your car even does it, as does mine...

:BS

7. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Hmmm. I'll have to try that out; as far as I knew it was just the DSG.

That really sucks if it does... :panic:

8. xeno555

Car:
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    There is no way you can disable that. Even if you could, if your insurance finds out, they may decline to pay out on an accident. If you can get over all that, why the heck would you do it? There is no valid reason to ride the brakes while accelerating. But if you must, go get MK1-MK3.

9. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Except for motorsport

10. wrightwinger

wrightwinger New Member

Car:
    none yet
    Thanks everyone. So anyone know of a tuner that could redo the ecu?

Handbrakes are extreme overkill for correcting under steer.... Those are more for inducing severe oversteer. And I still like to lock differentials on occassion.

It's not about riding the brake, it's about getting the most out your car and yourself.
    Cars should not be designed for the lowest common denominator.

Maybe they should make stock cars for rallying again, maybe this would lead to electronic safety features that actually work. (yes abs works great for formula one,,, on smooth perfect pavement).

11. wrightwinger

wrightwinger New Member

Car:
    none yet
    Any possibility of easily changing the amount of rpms the throttle drops to when the brake is engaged? I know their is a switch you can disconnect but this takes out the brake override on your cruise control too, which is not acceptable. I'm looking for a "good" car. Not a fancy car that won't let you drive it.

12. xeno555

Car:
    Mods:
    All the MK 5,6,7 are fly by wire throttle (no physcal link from pedel to throttle body).
    When the brakes are applied and it is in gear (auto/manual) it cuts the throttle. Of course idle is affected by the thrust of the input shaft.

13. dkoopman

dkoopman New Member

Car:
    13 Beetle TDI & 05 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    05 Passat - Unchained - Tranny Sport Code
    Here's a little outside the box thinking. Get rid of the cage and ride a motorcycle if you want the ability to balance between throttle, front brake and back brake.

2nd option - experiment with front and rear tire types and pressures to correct the understeer.

Another thought - google smyth g3f jetta tdi kit car or better, search youtube for the same - It's an interesting concept moving the engine and transaxle from the front to the rear and building a 2 seat sports car on an 05 and earlier jetta tdi.

my two cents

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  14. wrightwinger

wrightwinger New Member

Car:
    none yet

I already got the motorcycle. Need a car for the 6 months of winter. Left foot braking is just so nice to properly balance your car, and to work as traction control in the ice/snow.

When esc,abs,tc, and brake override are good enough for rally driving, maybe they'll be good enough for winter driving.

I Read an article on brake override from huffingtonpost. Basically it said because it is only a small percentage of drivers use lfb and other braking techniques properly, it's okay to screw them.

15. Doops

Doops New Member

Car:
    Mk2 golf tdi
    Hi wrightwinger, old thread i know but thought id comment, i too despise cars that think they know more about whats going on than i do, and i loved your analogy of "a spooked horse trying to kill you" lol i'm exactly the same, i have a mk2 (A2) golf with a 1.9 1z tdi in it, ive had it on the road like this for over ten years now, and i researched this exact thing when i built the car in 2006, exactly like this thread i got all kinds of wonderful but quite useless information, telling me i need to learn how to drive, that the car does it for a reason and just to leave it blah blah blah but i wasnt to be beaten, basically as youve already said its a brake light monitoring circuit that periodically tests to see if the bulbs are blown, i dont have cruise control so didnt have that as an issue, and i couldnt use the mk3 (A3) brake light switch due to it operating the opposite way to a mk2 one, so i used the mk2 switch for the brake lights. Simples. Or so i thought. So whilst driving for approx 3 minutes without touching the brake, the glow plug light would start flashing, a simple dab of the brake would get rid of the light for another 3 minutes. However like you say i wanted to left foot brake also, and obviously when the throttle is applied with the brake light on at the same time allows the fun police to kick in and chop the throttle- this happened to me when travelling down a long snowy hill once and i was nearly off the road, because due to the throttle being chopped, it allowed the brakes to lock the front wheels and then due to it being a diesel with relatively high compression there wasnt enough grip on the tyres to basically unlock the wheels, i had to dip the clutch and squirm down the road until i could regain some control over the front wheels. If i had of had full control over the throttle it wouldnt have happened. Anyway, i looked into getting it removed from the ecu but im not sure people knew what i was on about, either that or they didnt know how to do it, so i ended up putting a resistor in the line the ecu looks at to kid it into thinking the brake bulbs are all good, and wired up a standalone brake light switch independent of the loom. This works fine however the car has a side effect. When i get in the car and start it up, the very first time i open the throttle it cuts the throttle as if the brakes are on, but then i release the throttle and apply it again and its all good, and then doesn't do it again until i switch the ignition off and start it up again. Its abit of a wierd thing to get used to and I wouldn't recommend it for others, but it gets around the issue of the fun police taking away control and i can left foot brake to my hearts content.

16. xeno555

Car:
    Mods:
    I think most if not all "tunes" will/can get rid of it. Use it for launch control?

17. Doops

Doops New Member

Car:
    Mk2 golf tdi
    Yeah I'm sure someone will know how to do it, i got bored of asking the question when the answers we're always "why do you want to do that", At the end of the day if i want my car a certain way thats up to me. My ecu is tuned by the way but when i got it done many moons ago it was before i knew that it did what it does.