Keyless entry remote programming

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Weezl436, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Weezl436

Weezl436 Member

Car:
    Passat GLS TDI wagon, 2005
    Mods:
    Thor skid plate
    Having read the chapter on this topic in the 1000q section, I still have a question. I recently purchased a couple of remotes on eBay and wish to program them to my car. I have two fully functional remotes programmed for my car but wish to program two more. Question: does the remote being programmed have to be the one in the door, or can it just be held next to the one in the door? And can I program two remotes, one after the other, this way or do I have to start the procedure from the beginning for each remote being programmed? I know that this won't do anything for the immobilizer chip - all I want is a couple of extra remotes capable of opening the car.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I've never tried but the car does know how many keys are programmed to keyless entry and immobilizer. Can you try both ways and let us know?
  3. Weezl436

Weezl436 Member

Car:
    Passat GLS TDI wagon, 2005
    Mods:
    Thor skid plate
    Well, the system seems to work, but my car, it seems, will only allow two remotes at a time to be programmed for it. With one of the original keys in the ignition, and the other in the door, I can program one of my "extras", but it comes out as number two and then the one in the door doesn't work any more. Perhaps I need to have the one being programmed in the door, but since it's an eBay key, it's not the one for my car, so that won't work - unless I get a new key cut to fit. If anyone out there feels I'm doing something wrong, I'd be happy to hear from you.