just did front wheel bearing now and steering wheel is off?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by carboncow, Jun 4, 2009.

1. carboncow

carboncow New Member

Took about 4 hours to get the bearing carrier out and another 2 hours to press and refit the bearing and another hour to put it together. So about 7 hours and not to bad a job with the right tools.

Talked to my buddy (Saab mechanic) about taking the suspension/carrier apart and he and another guy I respect said just unbolt the items and bolt them back up. Nothing should mess with the alignment and such as everything is static with little adjustment.

We'll just took it for a test drive and it feels good. Mostly straight down the right (very light right pull at 45 mph) but the steering wheel is a good 25 degrees off now! Enough to annoy the piss out of me and cover the right corner of the tach under certain driving conditions.

So what happened here?

One thought I have is the steering was turned hard to the left when I took everything apart to get a good grab on many bolts (and deal with the caliper) my logic was to put it back together under the same angle/conditions would give me the same results.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe I should loosen all the bolts (strut & tie rod) and that maybe if I tighten them with the wheels (and streering wheel?) pointing forward I might gain some angle back. Or even turning the other way with the bolts lose and then retigtening.

Before I got and try these ideas I'd love to read form those who know and have some experience.
    login to remove this ad
  2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

That is very weird, if you put everything back exactly how it was removed the alignment should be fine. You should see dirt marks where the bolts lined up or you could use paint to mark where it was. Tighten them straight. Otherwise it means you didn't put everything back where it was. The struts can move quite a bit too. Maybe when the car was raised it moved?
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    2nd, it should go back fine. Unbolt with the steering wheel straight ahead and then retighten.
  4. ibdpic

ibdpic New Member

Car:
    2003 Golf TDI
    Get to an alignment shop!!!!! A good one!!

DO NOT move the steering wheel to make it "LOOK GOOD"!!!

There are some vehicles that use this method during an alignment but do not do it to "fix" yours!!!

When you have the front end apart as much as you did it is pure luck to get it back in the same spot. Many have "maybe" got lucky and got it in the "ballpark" but why not get it aligned and then you know it's right!! Usually by the time you see funny wear on your tires it's to late to get the max wear life from them, they might be more road noise, and traction might be less due to the wear from a poorly aligned car.

I'm replacing front wheel bearings and struts and mine will go to alignment shop right away. I did alignments many years ago and there is no subtitute for a check of alignment. Sure you can short cut an alignment if you are doing one tie rod and the alignment "felt good" and adjust the tie rod until the steering wheel is straight and that is pushing it but any thing more needs to be checked at an alignment shop.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  5. carboncow

carboncow New Member

Thanks a year late!
  6. ibdpic

ibdpic New Member

Car:
    2003 Golf TDI
    Didn't look at the date. Hope you got it fixed!!
  7. Sipper

Sipper New Member

So was it fixed :)