1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

J.D. Powers low rating for VW

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by SpeedThree, Jun 22, 2012.

1. SpeedThree

SpeedThree New Member

Car:
    2008 Mazda Speed3
    Brand new to this site, which is a terrific source of information.

I am convinced that the price of gasoline is going nowhere but up. With the Chinese middle class beginning to buy more and more cars and with an Indian middle class not that far behind, it is a foregone conclusion.

I am not interested in a hybrid nor in an all-electric car, so I began researching diesel-engine vehicles.

My search led me towards either the Audi A3 or the VW Passat, primarily because they both have above-average legroom in the front seat...which is something I absolutely need.

I was sadly disappointed with the results of the J.D. Powers & Associates U.S.2012 Initial Quality Study http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality-press-release.htm

The 2012 U.S. Initial Quality Study is based on responses from more than 74,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2012 model-year cars, trucks and multi-activity vehicles surveyed after 90 days of ownership. The study is based on a 228-question battery designed to provide manufacturers with information to facilitate identification of problems and drive product improvement. The study was fielded between February and May 2012.

It places VW only three from the bottom of a list of 34 car makers; only Mini, Fiat, and the Smart Car rated lower.

Audi, with 105 incidents per 100 new vehicles, is just one under the industry average of 102 incidents per vehicle.

Guess what I am looking for is some assurance from new Passat owners that I should still consider purchasing a 2012 or 2013 Passat.

Anyone wish to chime in???

Many thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Look at the thread "purchased SEL TDi...some observations". What happened there is very common. Dealers don't explain things to new owners, new owners underestimate how feature rich the cars are and don't read manuals. The result? People blame a car for not working when all it is is that they don't know how to use it.

The TDi platform is decades old and very reliable, I had the most unreliable touareg model ever made and it worked flawlessly. As others say, drive more and worry less. :)
  3. DubFamily

DubFamily Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    OP;

I have a friend who purchased a '12 Passat TDI SEL shortly after they came out; initially he went to look at them on my recommendation (at the time I didn't even have a TDI, just a VW).

Once he decided he liked them and bought one; I took a long look at the car; and they are really well designed. I think BrShootr may be exactly right when he says it's more an issue of not knowing how to work things, or that options are there rather than actual car problems.

The Passat in general, and the SEL and Premium models especially, are really well loaded for their price range and market; so there is a lot there for people to mess up with :p

My honest recommendation would be to go drive one. ask for an extended test drive and put a good hour or two in it. Then decide for yourself. Personally, if it were between a Passat and an A3 I'd be all over the Passat in a heartbeat :thumbsup
  4. SpeedThree

SpeedThree New Member

Car:
    2008 Mazda Speed3
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I plan to go to the dealership on Sunday afternoon and take an extended drive.
  5. sportriderseattle

sportriderseattle New Member

Car:
    '10 TDI Golf 2dr
    Mods:
    Votex Sport Styling Kit, stainless exhaust tips an
    As an owner of a '10 TDI Golf, I have to say I love my car, but what a ***** it was for the first year...if not a piece of **** IMO. My car was back at the dealer about 5 times the first year. "Teething Problems" some may say. I think the issue is that VW is soo up on becoming the #1 car manufacture that they are cutting corners and their Quality control went down the tube. Issues ran from a defective radiator to major water leak because they missed to seal a weld at the LT front wheel well where it meets the firewall (that took two separate visits because the dealer couldn't find it the 1st time), then the TDI hiccup/stalling, to the damn squeaky/creaking door seals whenever you go over a bump or uneven surface. There's a few other things but I mention the big issues.
  6. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    Speed 3,

I have owned my VW PASSAT TDI for along time since October 5th 2011, and with 17,900 miles I am happy with my vehicle, no issues as of yet other than 2 missing screws on my heat shield, bastard must have went to lunch and forgot my screws LOL... Anyway the car is awesome... I have had the Windshield replaced but that's because a rock hit it and cracked it, does this mean I report it to JD power no, but most idiots do. SO don't go by what those surveys, most americans are not up there. I totally recommend you buy the vehicle, mine is purchased not leased and I recommend it. It's the smartest thing you would have done, what makes are you comparing it to let me ask you that?
  7. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    VW's are hated and loved as Labron James!! Will you have it serviced at the dealer or independant garage? Can they work on a TDI? Factor in the cost of Timing Belt change and other sched. maintenance. Dont be afraid to look at the service manual to see what is involved. I would do this with any vehicle not just a tdi. I average about 90-110 miles a work day so it is a good car for me. Again look at what it costs to maintain the car, not strictly mpg. It may get 50 mpg but if it stays in the shop where is the $avings.
  8. jake and monika

jake and monika New Member

Car:
    Passat 2012
    Mods:
    DVD player VIM hack, 30%tint
    I also was looking at the A3 and Passat. I started looking for a used A3 TDI. After spending the entire day looking at every dealer, one dealer showed me the passat TDI. I loved it my wife still wanted the A3. both of these cars hold there value so we decided to get a new one. The vw dealer near me is also a Audi Dealer. I called and asked if they could put both cars (a3 and passat) side by side. Both 2012 models. It did not take long to see we both loved the passat. They both cost around 32k. The audi was nice until you looked every thing you get in the passat that is not in the a3. We now have a Passat SEL TDI Premium. The manual does not even cover everything this car can do. This site has lots of tips that helped me get even more out of this car. This is now my 3rd VW fom new. With what I know about all of my cars I would get another on a heart beat.
  9. SpeedThree

SpeedThree New Member

Car:
    2008 Mazda Speed3
    Again, to all who have replied, my thanks.

I drove a TDI today; not an extended drive. Guy drove me about five miles down the road and I drove back.

It was an SEL, automatic transmission.

In order of importance my wants are: a car with legroom, with excellent mileage, "nice" (i.e., not cheesy, not low end), standard transmission (love shifting; always have & always will), and with a light-colored interior.

He found 2012 gray Passat with standard transmission and with a black interior that some guy had ordered but had to renege on due to financial difficulties. Said no thanks because the black interior is a deal breaker.

If you have _ever_ had a nice car with a light interior, you will know what I mean. When you drop something on the floor in a car with a black interior, you can't find it. Black interiors always show the dirt; light ones don't. When they get dirty, light ones are easier to clean. I know, it's counterintuitive, but it's true. Had a BMW 328i and a 525i, and a Subaru wagon with light interiors and they were all great. My current ride, great fun to drive, a Mazdaspeed3, has a black interior and I _hate_ it. But with a 265hp, turbo-charged engine, a sports suspension and a 6-speed standard shift, it's the most fun you can have with your pants on. :)

OK. Back to the Passat.

BOATLOADS of legroom. I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam and with the seat all the way back and the wheel telescoped to its limit, it was bliss. The seats _seem_ nice, but that will require a long road trip (four hours in the driver's seat) before a final determination can be made.

With the front seat all the way back, I got in the back seat, and with my long legs I was still comfy. However, since the passenger seat will only go back and forth and tilt, but not up and down, the legroom there was just OK. Better than my Mazda 3, but not as good as in the driver's seat. When my wife drives on long trips, I will be _moderately_ cramped, but OK.

I will have to order a 2013 and that will require a 90-day wait for delivery. He said he could let me have the SE model with a standard transmission for a price of $26,200. Period. No other hidden charges other than tags and taxes.

I think I will go for it, but I was hoping to find one for less than this. The dealership, BTW, is in the greater Washington, D.C. area.

What do yo guys think of that price???

Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  10. rico567

rico567 Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    We have owned 14 SAAB over a period of 40 years. Most of these cars were well-used (only three new out of all those, and two were leases) when we got them, most with mileage in the 75-80K range, which we then drove, in most cases, to twice that. Nobody.... but NOBODY ever gave SAAB a good rating. But the strange thing is, we never experienced many maintenance issues other than the routine scheduled items, and the things that fell outside of that were never break-the-bank, or anything one would not expect of a particular vehicle at whatever the age / mileage it occurred.

We are currently driving an '04 SAAB 9-5 wagon with 127K on it, bought as a CPO vehicle with 21K, and have never owned a better car. We are looking hard at the VW Passat TDI as our next ride. While we regret the passing of SAAB, I don't think we'll have any hesitation about buying VW, if it comes to that. Don't draw conclusions from ratings without understanding what's behind them.
  11. SpeedThree

SpeedThree New Member

Car:
    2008 Mazda Speed3
    Another thing.

Salesman noted that routine maintenance is covered for the first three years and said they use synthetic oil and change it once every year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

I suspect that opinions are all over the map on how often you ought to change synthetic oil in a TDI engine, but I'll offer my opinion that (disclaimer: old guy writing who is not used to synthetic oil) 10k between oil change, assuming a mix of highway and city driving seems like an awful long time.

Any opinions?
  12. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    almost have 17,900 miles... I been changing mine every 5,000k all is telling me not too, but its my money LMAO... so don't worry about the 10,000 mile intervals. You are purchasing a fine automobile!!! I love mine!!
  13. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI

Price seems a bit high for an SE manual. I love how he"ll "let you hove it" at that price. Lol.

You really should do UOA's. Spending the extra money may not be a big deal, but you may actually be doing more harm than good to your engine.
  14. SpeedThree

SpeedThree New Member

Car:
    2008 Mazda Speed3
    Can you clarify?

[QUOTE
    You really should do UOA's. Spending the extra money may not be a big deal, but you may actually be doing more harm than good to your engine.[/QUOTE]

Agan, are you saying that changing synthetic oil every 5K will hurt the engine? Could you explain??

Thanks.
  15. DubFamily

DubFamily Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    I know it's tough, but it's time to move into the 21st century :p No, joking aside 10K oil changes are actually quite safe and are a conservative number for these cars. Oversears the oil change interval is actually flexible (car has sensors in the sump) but they generally run more like 20-25K between changes and still measure fine.

See my link below, I think you'll enjoy the info there :thumbsup

You are literally hurting your engine by doing early oil changes; you are doing more harm at 5K than you would be going every 20K.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306043
  16. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Oh freaking hell, here we go...a nice thread that just got ruined by yet another oil change discussion. And worse, by a bunch of "old guys" who insist oil should be changed according to their 1963 bus' manual and not their new car.

Ever stop to think about how the "old guys" from cars made in 1933 would think you were nuts to change the oil every 5k miles like you did when you were in your teens because you were not changing it often enough?

Now, enough with sarcasm, just my 2 cents, just something to think about:
    1. These cars were meant to be driven in stop and go traffic in little European roads or to be driven at well over our speed limits in Germany. Do you really think you're giving it a hard join by driving it in our conditions?
    2. Look up extended service programme. It's not offered in the US, but they change the oil in their cars only every 30k miles. They use the synthetic oil US dealers would use for this special "programme".
    3. The car's European manual says to change it every 16k miles.
    4. There are Chevron documents stating that these synthetic oils show very little to no degradation after many tens of thousands of miles.
    5. Look up the thread on oil analysis. Cars that have 100k miles on them, changing every 20k miles show the same oil signature as the ones with 10k miles after their first change (these cars are broken in at the factory, they use robots and computers to do it. You know, those things you put a punch card in one side and it prints the results on the other? Yeah, just newer, and smaller, and don't have punch cards).
    6. I was going to talk about detergents and lubricants in oil, but I'm too tired so do your own search. Lol

Why is it so hard for people to accept that a mechanical engineer who made the car who will save their lives in the case of an accident, save them from getting into an accident or design an entire vehicle is too incompetent to figure out when to change the oil?
  17. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Robot, computer... what are those? I'm still rolling on one of these:

[​IMG]
  18. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    ^^^^^
    I'm glad at least someone out here gets the dry-humor and sarcasm. :)
  19. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    To the OP. I like my 2012 Passat TDI so much that after 100+ days and 7000+ miles I'm buying a second 2012 Passat TDI for the wife. We both just love the car. There are a few things we are not so crazy about but the same goes for my Porsche Turbo.

All in all this is the best car on the market for what it does and how much it costs. Of course this is just my opinion. Others are free to agree or disagree. PEACE!
  20. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat
    I was under the impression that the very low score for VW was largely due to the problems with the Tiguon and the Eos dragging down the entire brand....