Itching to Purchase VCDS

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by geepsterz, Jul 5, 2012.

1. geepsterz

geepsterz New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    -just came back from VW for my first 10,000 mile service. When I inquired about the Auto-Sensor for the Wiper, they told me that my TDI SEL Premium was not equipped with that feature. Well, it seems to me, that my VW is equipped, but the feature itself has not been activated. And of course, I have been following the Forum stating that this mod could be done with the VCDS interface cable.
    My feelings are, that while VW will not perform this modification -even for cash, that I would like to make this (and any other nifty mods) come-to-life on my own.

So, even if I have not attempted any sort of electronic mod before, I am not afraid of doing so, if it is generally safe, easy, and fun/satisfying to do so. I believe that my electrical and mechanical skill levels are well beyond basic.

Given this "slightly vague" profile of me, would such a ($349) purchase be appropriate for someone full of enthusiasm, time, patience, and boundless curiosity? What are the risks of doing something horrible? And lastly, what would you think are the most popular uses/applications that would best bring a Return on Investment? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well the rain/light sensor is in front of the interior mirror stuck to the windscreen if that is there then I would think you can enable it with VCDS.

DIY retrofit of rain light sensor for auto wipers and headlights

If you change any Long Coding setting with VCDS it saves a log file Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug\CodingLog.TXT with the original code and the changed code so you can change it back if need be.

e.g.
    That was turning the seat belt warning off and needle staging.

You could copy and paste the Current coding: value into a file as another backup.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    It is the best tool you will ever own, hands down. Just buy it and don't look back. Get the real deal, not the ebay crap, they deserve your $$$ for what they have done for our community.
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Well, you could save $100 and just get the Micro-CAN interface... you only need the full-blown Hex+CAN cable if you want to scan VW/Audi cars older than 2006 (give or take... varies with the model...)

All the best,

Yuri
  5. geepsterz

geepsterz New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    VCDS - By golly, -that was easy!

I received the VCDS HEX-USB+CAN cable yesterday and went right to the auto-wiper procedure. Five minutes later, it was done! Of course, I had plenty of time to read a lot of the Forum's "how-to's," and viola!

Next is the 'sunroof/windows.' Getting this done, I should have enough confidence to post my location on the directory, should any local neighbor need any assistance.

Even at this early juncture, this tool is solidly made, fun, and well-worth its price.

Thanks all for your easy-to-follow guidance!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB