It May Be Diesel's Turn to Shine As Americans Yawn at Hybrids

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by darrelld, Apr 11, 2012.

1. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid
    Mods:
    ScanGaugeII, BlackVue Dashcam, V1 Radar Detector H
    American consumers are boosting their interest in — and loyalty to — clean-diesel engines at the same time they’re demonstrating more and more indifference to hybrids.

“Repurchase loyaltyâ€￾ for diesel powertrains increased by nearly 10 percentage points last year compared with 2008 while consumer repurchase rates for hybrid technology remained about flat at 35 percent, according to new data compiled by R.L. Polk. Diesel’s jump in repurchase loyalty as measured by Polk hasn’t been reported, while news about hybrid-repurchase trends was widespread yesterday.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebus...at-hybrids-it-could-be-diesels-turn-to-shine/
    login to remove this ad
  2. mrlinch

mrlinch Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI
    I know I am definitely diesel loyal fan after buying my first one, a new '10 Golf TDI.

However, from my limited time as a diesel owner, I disagree with the articles take on diesel price volatility. Compared to gas prices that can spike and bottom out within the same week, diesel moves much slower from what I've observed. Maybe they're just using a different definition of volatility than I am.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    Humm...the volatility I observe is gas goes up, diesel goes up, gas goes down diesel goes up, gas stays the same, diesel goes up? Why is that? Because we send a lot of our refined diesel to Europe where it comands more money. So, we in the U.S. have that going for us...which is nice. However, compared to Europes prices, I suspect we have little to complain about.
  4. brian252

brian252 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    The one thing I've noticed as a new tdi owner is you can watch for best prices over a 7 day period instead of 3. If you see a good price in your travels get some if not you have the range to wait. I go to fuel station now to find what mpg I'm getting instead of needing to buy the fuel.:laugh:
  5. Rbgjetta

Rbgjetta New Member

Car:
    Jetta
    Rbgjetta

I bought my first diesel truck in '99 when diesel was $.99 per gallon. I just bought my first vw jetta tdi earlier this year. One thing I have noticed over the years is that diesel rarely gets high enough in comparison to gas that it offsets the diesel efficientcy advantage. So, I would be happy if all my vehicles were diesels.
  6. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    TDI Beetle Convertible, 2013
    I may actually end up with a hybrid as my next car.

Why? Because VW has the most boring looking cars on the planet now. So far, unless something radical happens, my next "gets great mileage" car is looking like a Ford Fusion. That 2013 model is downright gorgeous. At least in white it won't look like something that should sport a Kenmore tag.

Now VW could surprise me with that two seat super mileage car, I would buy one just because. Well that and my commute of nearly thirty miles each way doesn't involve a freeway.

The only car that stands a chance of keeping me in the VW fold is the Beetle and even then it needs to be both a convertible and diesel. I am just not impressed with the fact its on the old Golf platform and does not have an independent rear suspension.
  7. Katmandu

Katmandu New Member

Car:
    94 BMW 530i
    Loaded question. Gas and Diesel are completely different markets. We (N.America) are now competing on the world fuel market and we are at the mercy of the traders. Diesel use is spiking in developing countries like China and India.

A lot of folks misinterpret the fuel prices with Europe and here. Folks simply don't know that the European tax structure is far different than over here. In Europe all the licencing and road taxes/fees are collected AT THE PUMP. Not separate as here in the USA.

Now take all the money you pay for licencing and the money that goes to finance our Transportation infrastructure (via Federal/State/Local taxes) and pay those at the pump instead. Now you can see why the Europeans fuel prices are substanially higher!

Compare apples to apples. Not apples to bananas!

BTW, IMHO hybrids are only cost effective for taxis and inner city (crowded stop-n-go) driving.

8. AMCMasterTech

AMCMasterTech Member

Car:
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    Mods:
    1.9 PD conversion into Jeep
    Indeed so, as they were optimized for urban and metro traffic where the intersection-to-intersection duty cycle could harvest the stopping energy, and then that power could be stored and re-used at the next start event.

Now...go to southern california where you see Pius (et al) drivers hammering the heck out of their 88 hp rigs in a futile effort to navigate the interstates. I guess if it assuages guilt and stuff, it's the ideal interstate cruiser :D
  9. Katmandu

Katmandu New Member

Car:
    94 BMW 530i
    That's hilarious! :laugh:
  10. bigwheel84

bigwheel84 New Member

Car:
    2000 golf
    Diesels are nice.. but unless the fuel prices stop climbing, its almost pointless to get ( says the poor soul who cant affort a tdi