Is 700 miles to far?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by bwbs14, May 30, 2012.

1. bwbs14

bwbs14 New Member

Car:
    96 240sx
    Im in the market for a tdi jetta and have came across an 06 with 86xxx miles on it that I am really interested in. I live 700 miles away from the vehical. My question is giving the unknown condition of the timing belt (Im assuming it has not been done) would driving it back home the 700 miles be to much of a gamble? Please give me your opinion's of what you would do in this situation
    login to remove this ad
  2. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    Ship it, swap the belt, problem solved. I would hate to tell you "oh, you will be fine"...and then it snaps! That would not be a warm and fuzzy feeling for anyone involved.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This is just me, but the car was originally rated for 100k timing belt, then downgraded to 80k change. I would drive it but as chudzikb says, could fail. This is less likely though. You could ask the seller to warranty the car for 1 day.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    That's what I was thinking, but, the lawyer in me got the better of me! Just don't want to be left holding the bag...
  5. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    A number of years ago a friend traded in his Nissan 300ZX for a new Volvo... about a week or so later, he got a phone call from the person who bought his old car asking what the mileage on the car was... the timing belt broke the 2nd day he had the car...

YMMV...

Good luck,

Yuri
  6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Last summer, I changed mt T/B at 88K miles. Belt, roller, tensioner and waterpump were in great condition.

Of course anything can go wrong but I would guess that if the mile number is correct and there are no strange sounds from the front of the engine, you will be fine.

From what I have heard, when folks ignore the T/B change interval, they usually don't have a failure until well past the change interval. (100K + miles) I would bet the Volvo that YMZ mentioned was well past.....................
  7. nord

nord New Member

Car:
    Mk5 Jetta '06
    I fully expect that at least a 50% allowance has been built into the TB interval. Personally I'd not think twice about an additional 700 miles. I would, though, negotiate a price that includes a TB change at full retail.