Introduction and 2003 Jetta TDI owner

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by tduckworth, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tduckworth

tduckworth New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    My name is Tim and I came across this site while troubleshooting a turbo issue with my fiance's Jetta.

There is so much good information here it would be silly of me not to register.

I work in the IT Security field but have always done all the maintenance on my vehicles. I used to race motorcycles as well. Anyway, I have very limited knowledge on turbo diesel motors.

If you have any questions about motorcycles, fighting fires, or computers, feel free to send me a personal message and I'll be happy to address it.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Welcome! Limp mode I'm guessing? Very common, see the limp mode troubleshooting FAQ article.welcometomyturbodies
  3. tduckworth

tduckworth New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    I don't have an engine light or get any codes from my code reader (hard or soft codes). I don't have access to a VAG. I replaced the MAF sensor and fuel filter. This helped some. I tried running the car with the new MAF disconnected and it ran a bit better. I can hear the turbo spin up but I don't feel much of a HP increase. My neighbor who is a seasoned European mechanic says that the turbo isn't working at all. He took the car for a drive and said that this car should be way faster. I checked vacuum on the actuator by pulling the vacuum line off of the N75 and pulling suction from a "mighty vac". It did hold a vacuum. If I push on the actuator with my finger, it does move smoothly but it takes a good deal of pressure (assuming this is from a stiff spring inside the actuator).

Is there a way that I can rule out the turbo as the culprit? What signs would I look for if the bearings were shot?
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The bearings usually don't fail to the point of seizing. These are journal bearing turbos and there is a healthy amount of oil lubing them. Normally if they wear they leak lots of oil. There will always be oil in the intake from the crank case vent recirculation though so don't take a small puddle of oil sitting in the intercooler as a sign the turbo is bad. More than 3/4 of cup, the probability is strongly towards yes a bad bearing. But the thinig is that the shaft is floating on a layer of pressurized oil so it can leak and still build boost.

Take a look at the VNT actuator replacement article to see how to isolate the turbo components.
  5. tduckworth

tduckworth New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for addressing my issue with me. I have read most of the troubleshooting guides on this site that have anything to do with "loss of power". I haven't actually performed all of the steps though. I just took a quick break from work and went out to the parking and looked in to the EGR valve. The other side of the butterfly valve is almost completely blocked with carbon. I'm guessing that is my issue. I'll see if I can find time tonight to take off the EGR valve and clean it out. If I can, I'll take a picture of it.

Thanks again!
  6. tduckworth

tduckworth New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Ok, I pulled the EGR valve off last night and there's no question about it. I need to clean the EGR and the intake. I can't believe that the car would do 70 MPH with this bad of a clog!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ecostar

ecostar New Member

Car:
    beetle tdi 1998
    Mods:
    tuning box rear glass spoiler
    Holy crow,:eek what a clog! no wonder it was lacking power,good find though. I think you found the problem.
    I must check my EGR valve and intake,That was a scary photo, wooh