1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Intro, at a loss for what could be pulling so much current, 5 amps, battery drain

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Drew, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Drew

Drew New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi/2002
    Hello Turbo Diesel Forum. I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI. I have used information from this forum to successfully work on my car and figured it was about time to register. I currently have a couple of problems with my Jetta. The first is that I cannot get it started. I had replaced the alternator and charged the battery. The diesel turned over and started up but ran for a little while and then cut off. I took my battery in and found it had a bad cell, and just bought a new one today. I had noticed the battery seemed to drain so I had hooke an ammeter in series with the positive terminal and had a reading of almost 5 amps. I disconnected all of the fuses and the meter did not fluctuate.

I am at a loss for what could be pulling so much current and am hesitant to put the battery back in.
    The other problem I had was a leaking sun roof which filled the car up with water while I was gone. I fixed the drain problem but mildew had covered every surface in the vehicle. I cleaned it and thouth I had it taken care of but it is coming back on the steering wheel, dash, and seat belt. Thanks for your excellent forum and all the help I've found here.
    v/r,
    Drew
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This really belongs in mk4 section so moving your thread.

you just have to start putting fuses back in and testing battery drain.