Intro, at a loss for what could be pulling so much current, 5 amps, battery drain

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Drew, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Drew

Drew New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi/2002
    Hello Turbo Diesel Forum. I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI. I have used information from this forum to successfully work on my car and figured it was about time to register. I currently have a couple of problems with my Jetta. The first is that I cannot get it started. I had replaced the alternator and charged the battery. The diesel turned over and started up but ran for a little while and then cut off. I took my battery in and found it had a bad cell, and just bought a new one today. I had noticed the battery seemed to drain so I had hooke an ammeter in series with the positive terminal and had a reading of almost 5 amps. I disconnected all of the fuses and the meter did not fluctuate.

I am at a loss for what could be pulling so much current and am hesitant to put the battery back in.
    The other problem I had was a leaking sun roof which filled the car up with water while I was gone. I fixed the drain problem but mildew had covered every surface in the vehicle. I cleaned it and thouth I had it taken care of but it is coming back on the steering wheel, dash, and seat belt. Thanks for your excellent forum and all the help I've found here.
    v/r,
    Drew
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This really belongs in mk4 section so moving your thread.

you just have to start putting fuses back in and testing battery drain.