Intercooler

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by LEZ, Feb 18, 2012.

1. LEZ

LEZ New Member

Car:
    2004 JETTA TDI
    Good Day
    I have read here reference to draining the intercooler it has not been a specific discussion but rather a fleeting refrence to it. Also the owner up the street claims he drilled a hole in his and seals with a screw and drains when needed he says if I dont drain it the engine will blow up.
    Lez
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Some oil does escape from the seals in the turbo, but there should never be more than a tablespoon-full that winds up at the bottom of the intercooler, and it should be vacuumed up to be burned as soon as you hit the accelerator pedal...

However, if the seals in the turbo are failing, you can get quite a bit more oil, and if enough of it pools down in the intercooler pipes and gets sucked up into the engine at one time, you could hydro-lock the engine, bending the rods...

It's good to check for the amount of oil that collects there every once in a while, but until you start finding significant amounts, it's a non-issue.

Yuri
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I wouldn't drill a hole, too many chances to mess it up and I don't want the shavings going into the engine. On a normal car the oil is blown out with normal driving. A good romp will blow almost all of it out and if it's accumulating you have something else wrong. Check out the FAQ on engine runaway.
  4. LEZ

LEZ New Member

Car:
    2004 JETTA TDI
    Ok thanks all
  5. x-tdi

x-tdi New Member

Car:
    mercedes/98
    Doing the timing belt on a 98 NB and I am finding significant oil in the intercooler- much more than a teaspoon. More like a cup of oil. I've never seen anything close to this in any other tdi I've worked on.

The car is driven in the city most of the time and hasn't been kept under boost purposefully. It has 275K mi on it but I'm not sure if this is the original turbo (the PO replaced darn near everything on this engine). How can I determine if the turbo is leaking?

thanks for any help
  6. rmchambers

rmchambers New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta GLS
    Mods:
    Panzer Plate, FMJ, Block coolant heater
    Clean it out really well, drive it for a while and then recheck the intercooler levels. If it's clean you're probably ok, if it has filled up again either your turbo seals are leaking or your crankcase vent is spewing oil in more of a spray and less of a mist format.