1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Instrument Cluster Swap

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by memo80, Mar 15, 2011.

1. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Hi,

I own a 2006 Jetta that has a bad fuel gauge, I changed the floater, checked the cables and the gauge would not move, Ifinally found a used instrument cluster and tried it and immediately the gauge moved, meaning that the original panel needs to be replaced, unfortunately the immobilizer needs to be programmed, any ideas? I don't want to spend too much money but I do want to know how much gas is left on my tank. Hope someone can help

Thanks!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  3. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    IDK, I'll try and take apart the one I have now and see if it's possible to swap, it might be but I am really not sure, I'll keep you posted. That would be easier than going thru the wholewrite up, especially with no vcds or anything like that.
  4. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Is there any way to swap the Instrument Cluster Immobilizer??? Anybody?
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If you mean swap the guts and case, yes. If you mean just remove the immobilizer function of the instrument cluster, no because to the best of my knowledge it;s built into the board.
  6. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Ok last night I decided to do my best to finally make this work.

I took apart the fully functional dash and tried to remove the fuel gauge which I tried and unfortunately could not get it off and I finally fd-it and now it looks like it does work anymore since before when I plugged in the dash the car would not turn on, but the gas gauge did move, now the gas gauge just stays still, LOL so I ended up f-ing it up.

What I did try is to swap the front part of the dash and plug it in to the back part and it seems the immobilizer is on the back because I could get the car to start although I got some funky numbers and characters on the dash.

So I ended up doing some more experimenting, and I plugged the dash without the plastic front cover and noticed that even if I move the gas gauge manually to the right it would go back and reset to empty and would move slightly to the right, which got me thinking it might not be the gauge, but what did baffle me is how the gauge I messed up did seem to work even though the car would not start because of the immobilizer.

So really I am not sure what else to do, right now I'm just going by my gut and filling up the tank more times than I should because I don't want to be stranded with no gas.

I am thinking of getting Vag Commander, do you think that could help?

Thanks!
  7. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Ok, here goes the latest,

I have a faulty Gas Gauge on my Cluster Part Number 1K0 920 952 C, everything else works great, vag com gives me fault code

00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
    010 - Open or Short to Plus

Vag Commander 5.1 can read the immo Pin and mileage with no problem.

So I decided to get a another cluster from fleabay, I bought one with PN 1K0 920 952 K, first thing I noticed when plugging it in to the dash is the immo light (Key & Car) is not flashing, tried turning on the car and of course couple of seconds on then turns off, so I connected Vag Commander and get a "cannot read security access code. please reset cluster and try again" error, I reset the cluster and again the same thing, I can read the mileage but cannot change it, also I noticed after I read the cluster and get the error I reset but the cluster stays exactly the same, so I don't think it resets itself.

I read with Vag Com and it says cannot communicate with immobilizer.

Also noticed all the gauges seem to work, especially the gas gauge which is my concern, so this would rule out any problems with the sender or wiring, I have some sort of short on my original cluster.

Any Ideas on either fixing the original cluster or reading the immo pin on the fleabay one?

Thanks!
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I had the same problem, go to read/write immo data and there's another field where you can read the SKC, see the main immobilizer FAQ article. I would also not try to change the mileage. It's illegal and as you have found out, these types of products are best for reading only because they can be buggy. Sometimes people try to write and it bricks the unit.
  9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    A friend I work with used to work for VW and they used to change the mileage back to zero on new cars just to remove the delivery mileage this can only be done once thats if the mileage is below 60 miles.

I tried it on a Golf TDI a couple of months ago and it doesn't work as it shouldn't else every car sales will have VCDS.
  10. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    I really dont care about the mileage, the big deal right now is the fuel gauge that I want fixed, where exactly on vag commander can you retrieve the SKC i cant seem to find it

Thanks!
  11. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    ok, so I guess my vag commander is not 1.4, I have 4.5, 5.1 and none are working out, I guess it has something to do with the actual cluster, like I said before the key light for the immo does not even flash when plugged in, any ideas?
  12. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Can you post screenshots of what you see? It should be somewhere in kombi which is the instrument cluster.
  13. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Here is the screen shot of the Original Cluster with the busted Gas Gauge,

I can read the odometer of the fleabay cluster but cannot red the security access code.

Attached Files:

14. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your code 4716?
  15. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    That is correct for the Original cluster, the one with the faulty gas gauge.

I have a second cluster that when I try and read vag commander tells me that it cannot retrieve the security code and to try resetting the cluster, which I do but nothing happens. Also as I mentioned in earlier posts it's weird that the immo light on the cluster does not flash at any time. I can read the mileage OK but not the security code
  16. memo80

memo80 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Any ideas?? I also have a problem with the outside temp, I changed the sensor but not working, I tried using the other cluster and the temperature is correct, so somehow the cluster has a problem on the actual cluster, any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks!
  17. footballschewe

footballschewe New Member

Car:
    2004 VW Jetta
    Hi guys, can someone please help me out… I have a 2004 Jetta the Speedometer, Odomometer and Cruise Control all stopped working at 48,000 miles… And when the fuel is around half tank, the LOW FUEL alarm beeps at me every time I go around a sharp curve. I purchased a instrument cluster from the same year Jetta from a junk yard. Am I able to just swap the two out with each other or do I need to do any programming? I am not worried about the milage.
    I have a VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 USB Cable, and downloaded Ross-Tech (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html)

Ross-tech currently says:
    VAG Number: 06A 906 032 NA
    Component: 2I LEV2 A4 AG4 G 5501

1 fault Code Found
    16885 – Vehicle Speed Sensor: Implausable Signal
    P0501 - 35-00- -

Soft Coding: 00003 Shop: WSC 00066
  18. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    see ross tech wiki for swap procedure, you need the SKC number and some programming