Instrument Cluster for MK4 Jetta TDI automatic, early 2005

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Paul Burgener, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Paul Burgener

Paul Burgener New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2005
    Newport News and Arlington, Virginia, USA
    My mechanic tells me my early 2005 MK4 Jetta sedan TDI needs another instrument cluster. Seems my Jetta refuses to de-activate the "immo" im-mobilization anti-theft feature. That is, it won't recognize my key's chip, and thinks I'm a thief trying to steal it. When I try to start it, I can get it to crank over and over, but it won't keep running, after at most a sputter or two. At first I thought I was out of fuel, since the gas gage wouldn't lift off empty, although there's no yellow low fuel warning light. I put in 3 gallons and nothing changed. My mechanic tells me he'll have to find a used 2003 (as I recall) to 2005 MK4 Jetta TDI cluster for an automatic transmission, to be sure there won't be any problems. They aren't made anymore, so it'll have to be a used one. He found one for a stick shift (that costs $200), and I after confirming on the Internet, I told him to go ahead and install it. I can live without the gear indicator (D for Drive, etc) on the display. I fear it had more problems, when he didn't call me before he closed shop Friday. I'll call him tomorrow (Monday) to get an update. Is there anyway to by-pass the "immo" feature with programming, or hot-wiring, so I can use my car again? Is a junk yard perfect match instrument cluster the only way to get my Jetta on the road again? I'm in Newport News, VA, USA. The Jetta's got like 260K or so miles on it. -paul

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    so you redid the siki code on the key and it still not fixed?? when you drop a key it will break doing the same thing... try a spare key?? and any cluster will need you to reprogram the code so may as well do it with the stock one first... as they will loose their coding for the walk bitch i dont want you in me aspect they get.. another option is send computer to person to strip immo out of it

imo id be looking for a vw mechanic who knows this stuff... as pissing $200 away on a used one will not do crap for you unless you can repogram the immo.. which i expect you need to try 1st... before buying anything...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Paul Burgener

Paul Burgener New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I passed it on to my mechanic this morning. He insists the cluster is broke, and assures me my key will work with the new instrument cluster. Since I'd authorized the $200 part, and he'd already ordered it, I felt I had to at least see what he could do. It was supposed to arrive today, but he never called me back. Hopefully he'll call tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    if he cannot reprogram the cluster.. it will only do the same thing... you need the code to reprogram it... why i say reprogram stock one first.. they loose their coding like a cmos watch batt screws up..

5. Paul Burgener

Paul Burgener New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2005
    Well, got the Jetta back. He programmed the two spare keys for me. He managed to find an instrument cluster for an automatic, but didn't notice the big numbers for the speedometer where for Kilometers per Hour, until he was road testing it. I said I could get used to that and to proceed. By the time My wife and I came to fetch it, he'd swapped backing plates so it now reads easily in Miles per Hour. The total bill was $512, the same as he quoted me last week.

Earlier today I asked him about re-programming the old instrument cluster, and he explained that his "scanner" couldn't even connect with the old cluster to do programming with.

Thanks again for your advice. Next time I think I'll try another mechanic, though this one comes highly recommended. -paul

6. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
    Check your speedometer through GPS or have someone pace you.
    The max reading on BEW cars is 160.
    The max on ALH cars is the 140.

7. Paul Burgener

Paul Burgener New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2005
    Good advice. At 60 mph (on my GPS) I was going 59 or 60.