installed OEM HID headlights.. bi-xenon shutters not working

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by rootrider, Mar 4, 2011.

1. rootrider

rootrider New Member

Car:
    2009 VW SportWagen TDI
    I installed OEM HID headlights into my car today.. along with the highline cecm. Outside of the cecm, everything is from ECS Tuning's kit they sell (all OEM parts, plus the Kufatec harness adapters). I ran wires from pins 11 on the adapters to the correct pins on the cecm plugs, following the guide here and the diagram from the vortex. (just to be sure, the "right headlight" is the passenger headlight on a US car, correct? It's rather annoying that everyone appears to refer to 'right' & 'left' headlights, without specifying what the point of view is.)

The result is..
    xenon with shutter enabled in vcds (xenon without shutter turned off): inner lights work as a 'flash-to-pass' when the headlights are off. When headlights are turned on the HID lights turn on.. nothing happens when flashing highbeams other than the cluster's 'highbeam' indicator coming on, and nothing happens when switching highbeams on full time. No CEL occurs either (I saw that a CEL might occur in this situation on a thread on the vortex).

xenon without shutter enabled in vcds (xenon with shutter turned off): everything works as above, however the inner lights also come on both when flashing & turning highbeams on full time. The bi-xenon shutter does not move, not matter the situation. Still no CEL or other fault.

This is on a 2009 SportWagen. The country for the cluster was set to '0' in the instrument module in VCDS. I set this to '4' for Great Britain and nothing changed.. door chime still comes on, headlights operate the same as above, cluster settings remained the same, etc. I didn't think to set the country to the US code, but I doubt that would matter at this point.

Any ideas then? My logic tells me that it's unlikely both shutters wouldn't work if this were a simple wiring issue (unless I really screwed up my wiring some how). So, either I plugged these into the cecm incorrectly (possible, but I'm pretty sure I plugged them into the right spots.. triple-checked that when I was doing it), something is somehow still wrong in VCDS, or the shutters simply aren't working (not very likely, obviously).

I don't have the VCDS cable any more (was borrowing it), so I won't be able to test any changes for a few days, but I did take screenshots of all of the long coding helper screens for the cecm for the midline cecm, and the only changes I made on the highline cecm, after verifying all other settings matched the midline cecm, were related to the xenon lights being installed (DRL's were already disabled).

mid-installation :D
    [​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    When you get the cable again, please post a full scan in the VCDS section: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f24/

xenon without shutter enabled in vcds <--this sounds like it's working as intended.

xenon with shutter enabled in vcds <-- this should work and the high beams should flick the shutters.

Assuming everything is coded correctly, check the wiring to the CECM, the wiring adapter pins (make sure they are all in the right slots), and the headlight pins. It seems unlikely that both shutters are defective. This is very strange.

There's nothing in the CAN BUS Gateway that needs to be coded to add HID if you have the highline CECM. And yes, right = passenger side.
  3. rootrider

rootrider New Member

Car:
    2009 VW SportWagen TDI
    thanks..

I wouldn't be surprised now if the crimps I made are no good. I'll have to check for power some time next week.
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The crimps should be fine if you tug on them and they don't come apart, especially for the shutter. If the crimps are heat shrinked they should also be fine for under the hood. I wouldn't use a crimp on an air bag plug but this is fine. Maybe if you had dim headlights and the crimped wire was 12V the crimp would be suspect.
  5. rootrider

rootrider New Member

Car:
    2009 VW SportWagen TDI
    yeah, those wires aren't coming loose any time soon. I'm still hoping that I screwed up the wiring rather than plugged them into the wrong pin holes on the cecm plugs. I won't be able to work on the car until late next week, so I'll hopefully find out more then.
  6. rootrider

rootrider New Member

Car:
    2009 VW SportWagen TDI
    alright, so, this was a stupid mistake on my part.

Who knew that the square pins from the repair wire have to go into the plugs a certain way? I think I caught this when I enabled the rear fog a couple of years ago, but I'd forgotten. So, I had managed to insert both pins incorrectly so that they didn't fully go into the plug. They were still locked into place, but weren't making electrical contact. Turning them so that they went in fully allowed the shutters to work perfectly.
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    :) Thanks for the follow up! I will add this note to the writeup so nobody makes this mistake in the future.
  8. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Car:
    Alexis
    You should be take advice with your car mechanic The crimps should be fine if you tug on them and they don't come apart, especially for the shutter. If the crimps are heat shrinked they should also be fine for under the hood.For more you must be contact with your car mechanic for best advice.
  9. rootrider

rootrider New Member

Car:
    2009 VW SportWagen TDI
    you just replied to a thread that's over a year old.. for an issue that is resolved ;)
  10. marko

marko New Member

Car:
    2007 mk5 golf tdi
    can anyone tell me the part numbers for the cluster pins for into cecm plugs??
    i have kufatec looms with the extra wire from pin 11 but its only 6 inches long..i have added extra wire to each side but dont know what size terminal connector i need for each plug in cecm...
    any help please????