Injector cleaner - anyone use it regularly?

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by oldval225, Aug 3, 2012.

1. oldval225

oldval225 New Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    I often read the advertising hype about using an injector cleaner regularly, however I've always been a bit reluctant to use additives in general. Do any of the forum members use an injector cleaner, if so, what brand/s and do they notice any difference (to performance, economy, smoke etc)?:confused:
    login to remove this ad
  2. ggordon9

ggordon9 New Member

Car:
    2004 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 tdi
    Injector Cleaner

I am from old school, I just add a little transmission fluid in the fuel from time to time, no problems, thanks
  3. oldval225

oldval225 New Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Well now - I've never heard that one - transmission fluid eh?
    A buddy of mine swears that adding a moth-ball (camphor) to his tank of fuel every now and then is the go. He claims it cleans the injectors and fuel delivery system out and his rig no longer smokes and pulls like new again.
  4. afterthisnap

afterthisnap New Member

Car:
    jetta/2003
    My brother does that with his Mercedes Sprinter- I think half a quart every tank.

The rationale is that modern ULSD has less lubricity than the old stuff, so the ATF lubricates the IP and has detergents to clean the system. The van doesn't seem to mind.
  5. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    If you call three dealerships about additives you will get three different answers. I use 4oz of Stanadyne every tank. Some use powerservice products. Liqui Moly diesel purge or diesel injection cleaner are a good choice. Give it a good blowing out on a regular basis.
  6. 06vw

06vw New Member

Car:
    06 vw jetta tdi
    I run standyne performance formula.
  7. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Never have... in 28 years of VW Diesel driving... perhaps when my present car is broken in, I may start... (it only has 476780 miles on it now...)
    I wouldn't do that - especially with the newer cars... (2004 and later in North America...) The injectors are far too delicate and costly...
    That would be my choice if the fuel available was of questionable quality... VW used to recommend only this one - but I don't know their current policy...

YMMV...

Yuri
  8. logika

logika New Member

Car:
    Skoda Octavia 2.0 tdi BKD
    I use 100ml of "Spuri" every tank. The "Spuri" injector and engine cleaner is famous in Hungary.
    It removes the condensed water from the whole fuel supply system. It makes the soot deposits disappear from the combustion chambers of the engine.
    The SPURI is recommended to be used in diesel engines especially because of its preventive effect to the diesel oil’s solidification process in cold temperatures in winter.
  9. afterthisnap

afterthisnap New Member

Car:
    jetta/2003