1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Importing a Euro spec Audi A4 TDI

Discussion in 'site comments/suggestions/corrections' started by YertOlogy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    07 a4 s-line tdi & 03 jetta tdi
    Mods:
    Jetta has PD ECU piggy back
    The following information is not entirely correct. I actually own a euro spec 07 a4 s-line tdi. I will be unloading it from the dock in Georgia 1/30/12. Though it has been difficult it has not been "virtually impossible" as the author has stated.

Any questions? Please ask.

Importing a Euro spec Audi A4 TDI

To address a common question I get, unless you're a diplomat, it's virtually impossible to import a recent European spec car without massive modifications unless the exact same car/engine was sold in the US.* As a rough summary, you would have to modify the safety equipment, emissions equipment and tuning, and submit compliance documentation.* It would be cheaper to move to Europe than import a Euro only car and make it street legal.* Audi, BMW, Porsche, etc. have European delivery programs which let you import your car as a used car into the USA but you're importing a US spec car, not a European spec car.* It must be federally certified regardless of what your local DMV gives you or else it'll go to the crusher if the feds finds out.* The only way to currently make your own late model Audi A4 TDI is to swap the 3.0 engine and emissions system out of an Audi Q7 and into an A4.* The engine swap should be relatively easy because these engines are designed to fit into European Audi A4 but the emissions system requires engine tuning and custom fabrication.* See 1000q: DPF and Adblue FAQ for more details on the emissions system on clean diesels.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    So how did you do it? Please provide proof and as many details as you can provide (you can black out any personal info) because to the best of my knowledge, unless the model was sold here it's not fed legal. Even if it's state legal and you can get tags for it doesn't mean it's fed legal and won't be repo'd by customs.

:needpics:
  3. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I will try to figure how to post my bill of sell w/ all the cars info. This is my first post ever so please bare with me. The car is a 07 a4 s-line tdi with 60k. It's online at evanhhalshaw.com for like 8700GBP.

The insurance was the toughest part. They wanted proof the car had a few basic thing, such as, label inside door jam, vin visible from wind shield, proper color turn signals, ect.

Another challenge was the loan. In order for a bank to give a loan, they want to look up the vin. Since the a4 was never registered in the USA, the vin is not valid. What we had to do was take a loan out on my jetta (it was paid for) plus an additional personal loan.

The easy part seems to be registration (tags). I called the county clerk and told them the whole story. They said as long as the title was properly filled out and I had a bill of sell, they would register it. Though I have not actually got the title yet because they've not received the wired funds of 14000$.

I almost have shipping worked out with a company called 1st move international. The mans name I'm dealing with Graham Webb. The cost will be 1089GBP. The boat will be leave on 1/6 or another boat 1/20. They will be leaving Southampton UK and will be I will be unloading at Savannah GA 22 days after the boat departs.

As far as the Feds coming and taking my car? I think that's very improbable. Where I live we have NO inspections. Mail men drive right hand vehicles all the time, why can't I. Not much else to say other than I'll take my chances.
  4. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    An old email (some proof)

As for pictures, the only pics I have had so far were on the web site and when I put down my deposit the ad was taken down. I have a impressive pile of emails because it's much cheaper than calling the United Kingdom. There are some attachments in that pile you folks would find interesting, however they won't copy and paste so I'm lost on how to get them to the forum (not that I feel comfortable doing that anyway). Sorry chittychittybangbang, but this thread will remain "worthless" until the car is sitting in my drive way and I can go over it real good with a camera.

The following is an older email from the dealership.

Hello Ashley,

I have spoken to my business manager this morning and he has confirmed to me that it is no problem for us to deliver the car to your designated shipping dock.
    It will cost you an additional (£99 Pounds), for us transport it to the dock.

If you want to place a deposit on the vehicle then this is no problem. It costs a (£100 Pound) this will secure the vehicle off sale. However I suggest you speak to your bank about the cost to yourselves in dollars as the exchange rate as you know constantly changes.

The additional information we require from yourselves is the following: We need the name of the Shipping port which you are wanting the car to be delivered too. If you have the postcode of the docks then this would be extremely useful. Furthermore I also need to know the company which you are using to ship the vehicle. This is so that my delivery driver knows where to take the vehicle when he takes it too the docks.

I must also inform you that the retail price of the vehicle is (£8424 Pounds) again I advise you speak to your bank in regards to the cost to yourselves in Dollars. This amount must clear in my account before I can release the vehicle to yourselves, so if you are happy to go ahead with the car then this needs to be done as soon as possible, due to the fact that it will be an international transaction.

Please give me a call on my cell today too confirm that you want the car and also answer any further queries that you may have.

Kind Regards,
    Sean Venkatasamy
    Used Car Sales Executive
    Evans Halshaw Nissan Mansfield
    Southwell Road West
    Mansfield
    Notts
    NG18 4TR
    Tel: 01623 787---
    Fax: 01623 788---
    Wan: 668436
    Evans Halshaw
    www.evanshalshaw.com
    Registered Company: Pendragon PLC, Loxley House, 2 Oakwood Court , Little Oak drive, Annesley, Nottingham , NG15 0DR. Registered No: 2304195.
    Registered in England & Wales .
    Pendragon PLC is an appointed representative of Pendragon Finance and Insurance Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Disclaimer
    Nothing in this E-mail is to be interpreted as agreement on behalf
    of any business in the Pendragon Group to enter into any legally
    binding agreement unless the recipient has received confirmation
    in writing from a director of the business that the sender is so
    authorised.
    If you have received this E-mail in error please forward it to
    email-returns@pendragon.uk.com, destroy and delete it and do
    not rely upon it in any way.
    Publication and/or distribution of it is strictly prohibited and may be
    unlawful.
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Buying the car is no problem, any foreign seller will gladly sell you the car if you pay. Don't expect a car salesman to know anything about customs laws in a foreign country. The shipper will gladly take your money to import something. The difficulty of getting the car registered is more complicated and depends on your location.

But this isn't where you can get stuck, it's in customs. Does the car have an EPA certification decal and the DOT compliance sticker? If not, are you using a registered importer? If not, it cannot be legally imported. This is not the shipping company's responsibility, where you are importing gray market cars it's yours. http://www.motivemag.com/pub/featur...rting_Those_Rare_Cars_You_Always_Wanted.shtml Read this, I'm afraid that you are in for a costly lesson. Just to be sure, I would edit your posts and remove any identifying material from anything you post publicly. Also read this: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

I'm not saying customs will find you and turn the car back, I'm saying it's illegal and if they do catch you, you are responsible even if you don't know the law.
  6. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Well crap. You just educated me and popped my bubble. I hope I slip under the radar. I did read some stuff about how I'm responsible for customs from the shipper. But still, I'm to far in to back out, not that I even want to.

Bookmark this thread I will be updating as the story unfolds.
  7. chody

chody New Member

Car:
    vw jetta 2.0 tdi 140 sport
    mate you are a brave man buying a 4 year old car unseen from the uk, how expensive are audi's in the states that this makes sense
  8. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    It's not that I'll be saving any money. It's not the fact of getting a good deal. It's that they are just not available in the USA (tdi that is).
  9. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Today I spoke to the import/export general manager. She is looking up the VIN for me to see exactly what would have to be done to the car to get EPA & DOT stamps (if I choose to go that route). If I do, I have two options (1) send the car to Audi and let them make the changes. (2) Import the car and let someone here in the states do it. But theres a catch with option 2 both the EPA and DOT will take a lean out on the car until the changes are made. Now, all that being said there is a 3rd and 4th option that would keep the car in its original state. (3) Find a shipping company that docks some where away from customs. (4) This is probably my favorite. Do option one but have Audi send over the extra parts. Then I will have upgrades to do at my leisure.

I will be posting the list of parts soon IF anything is required.
  10. cougarman

cougarman New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Sportwagon TDI
    There's a couple things you could have done differently to ensure a better chance of success. I don't know where you live, and I don't want to know, but your best bet would have been to take delivery at a Canadian or Mexican port. Canada would have been simpler, potentially cheaper, and enabled a short drive across the border with US plates. Mexico is a little more problematic, as most of the larger ports also have gov't and drug cartel activity. You could have gotten the plates from your registration or attempted to use your current Jetta's tag and registration. Most Canadian border guards, at the smaller entry ports, won't verify more than the plates, ignoring the model entirely.

I'd be interested to see how you fare in your endeavor. The level of scrutiny of customs at your chosen port will be crucial. I wish you good luck, as I've only been successful with one of three diesels I've attempted to import(a Jaguar), and then only because I converted temporarily to a gas engine for registration, converting back after success. Luck be with you.
  11. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Funny you mentioned that. My wife and I are in the process of obtaining passports now. We're taking tags and insurance with us, we plan on driving back. Nice to talk to someone who has done something something similar. May pick your brain a little more when I get off work (in a way where not everyone can read of course).
  12. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I threw in the towel, US is to good at keeping out good cars. Bought a new Jetta TDI. The guy that wrote the article is 95% correct. I still believe the A4 could be sent separate from its motor as an avid diesel enthusiast suggested, Im just not wheeling to take it to that level. If Canada didn't have such a bad attidude about RHD's I would probably have the car.
  13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the update, where did you get stuck? Did you ship it or just ask for a partial refund on what you bought already?

Yes, you can import it as parts but it's easier and cheaper to import the major components and install it into a US car because it'll already have a VIN.
  14. YertOlogy

YertOlogy New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    It never left the lot. The hang up was getting through customs, because you can't. If it doesn't have EPA and DOT stamps then they simply will not let you have the car. I am getting refunded all but 400£.