Immobilizer light flashing

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by dr.digital, Dec 23, 2010.

1. dr.digital

dr.digital New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2002 TDI
    I am new to this forum. Have Jetta TDI 2002. Frequent short distance driving 1.5 mile one way. Lost battery power in a cold morning and the Immobilizer light flashing since than. Charged the battery up and left the key with the ignition ON for more than an hour /three times/. Immo Ligh still flashing. Later took the flip key plastic apart /only one remote key/ and found broken greenish small glass pieces inside. Later discovered it was the transponder chip shell broken. I am DIY person, so I ordered an uncut key with integrated new transponder chip and need to know how to retrieve the SKC and program the transponder. Third owner of the car and this was the only key I have. Please help!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Welcome!

I have never heard of the chip breaking. It's encased deep in the key. Any idea how that could have happened? Check out the immobilizer FAQ I just added some more pictures today.
  3. NBNORM

NBNORM New Member

Car:
    VW beetle TDI 2001
    I had a glass capsule break when I droped the key. Found a guy on ebay that sold the capsule and the vw emblem as a package for 25.00. I had the SKC code from when I bought the car. My understanding is you have to get the SKC from the dealer if you dont have it. Good Luck
  4. dr.digital

dr.digital New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2002 TDI
    Immo LIght flashing

Took the FOB key apart and put clear plastic tape around the broken RFID chip so seal it. Fitted it back into the slot where it originally was. Gave the battery GOOD charge /12.5V holding/ with ignition ON.
    At this point the IMMO recognized the key and I was able to start the car.
    I am thinking of implementing the only /broken/ RFID chip I have somewhere inside the car and get a new key cut.
    What would be the best place to put the RFID chip for reliable reading?
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The range is about 3 inches under the most favorable conditions. 1" is reliable when it's in the key.