Immobilizer delete opinions

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Live4Snow, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Live4Snow

Live4Snow Member

Car:
    2000 Golf 1.9 TDI Manual
    Mods:
    Stage I clutch, Malone Stage 3, DLC 1019's, inline fuel pump, billet air/oil separator, muffler delete
    Looking for opinions and stories here. I know plenty of people have deleted them but I want to know how prone they are to failure. Seeing as how a 17 year old car that's infamous for electrical issues is my DD the idea that my ECU could say "Nope!" at any given moment and leave me stranded kinda worries me. So should I consider being preemptive and deleting it before something happens and be on the safe side or am I worrying for nothing?
    Thanks for the comments!

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I don't think it's super common, more likely to have turbo failure or something.

From my understanding too I think the immobiliser light continues to flash with a delete. That'd bug me

Live4Snow likes this.
  3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    remove led for the light..

when it fails.. your walking... that simple... drop the key and it can break it

4. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Ok if you're comfortable with stripping the clocks and desoldering the led but I've never come close to an issue myself over the last 10 years of vag tdi's.

Only issue I've had is the remote locking being a **** and locking me in the car lol

Live4Snow likes this.
  5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    i doubt your hard on your key... my fav is the key toss n drop/miss... nice cold day.. concrete.. your playin Russian roulette.. .had alot of ive dropped my key now immo issues due to drunk collage kids... can you say anti dui.. LOL

a push button hundie is my fav mess up of all time... guy stops as he somehow lost the key thinggy that allows ya to keep in pocket to start/drive the car... did ya know if ya loose it once car running you cannot turn it off?? he just got off turnpike and has no idea where it went.. just could not shut car off...

LOL..90-94 b3 passat.. get in car all windows roll up on own... push button down.. take finger off.. right back up.. they have a silly micro switch by the top of key hole that fails (gotta buy new handle.. or good used w/key as no key breaks switch to rekey it) that gets stuck one way or the other as it pops out of the detent on the lock cylinder.. also controls the power locks... so unlocking the door.. can cause the locks to lock.. the cure is to only allow the power locks to work, do not turn it further then needed aka mechanical rods turn much further.. allowing the switch to in/out the detent.. that in turn wears/breaks the switch.. been using my og one for 15 years.. i keep it and door rubbers lubed so nothing can freeze to break a 150$ handle

6. Live4Snow

Live4Snow Member

Car:
    2000 Golf 1.9 TDI Manual
    Mods:
    Stage I clutch, Malone Stage 3, DLC 1019's, inline fuel pump, billet air/oil separator, muffler delete
    That's good to hear! Hopefully I'll never have to deal with it and in the mean time if it ain't broke I'm not going to mess with it.