Immobiliser in the Dash?

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by DRATSAB1980, Jul 29, 2012.

1. DRATSAB1980

DRATSAB1980 New Member

Car:
    audi a4 tdi, 2000 facelift
    Hi all, I just bought a 2000 a4 facelift, and took off the binnacle to push the rev counter needle back on, but when I put it all back together, it wont start and the immobiliser light is on? Have a buggered it up or can I reset it somehow???
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I take it you had the clocks disconnected? Maybe try disconnecting the battery and touching the leads together then put them back on and see if that works. They don't normally need reset but they don't really like it if you unplug the clocks with the battery connected.
  3. DRATSAB1980

DRATSAB1980 New Member

Car:
    Hmmm disconnecting the battery and leaving it a while was the next step, touching the leads together? I suppose to ground it? This happend the day I fekkin bought it, needs new clocks anyway! But I just wanna be able to drive it to get work done to it!:-(
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Disconnecting both battery and holding both leads together will ground them the idea is it discharges any capacitors in the electronics.

I'm sorry but this quick fix rarely works I think I've only heard of one or two users on here that it worked for.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    It's how you reset certain clocks Keith, the motometer ones especially, they can go weird if you don't disconnect the battery before messing with them. Ask me how I know lol

You can reset the VDO ones with vag tacho though, but pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery is a lot quicker.
  6. DRATSAB1980

DRATSAB1980 New Member

Car:
    Is this called a 'terminal 30' reset? may it wipe the stored Key data? Sorry to sound like rookie but its me 1st audi after 10 yrs of peugeots, and I havent a clue about pin numbers and how to get them and all, Iv only driven the car about a mile and now its just a big green paper-weight.
    My plan today...disconnect the battery for 10 mins then check, failing that, disconnect battery and touch the leads to clear the capacitors and check...
  7. DRATSAB1980

DRATSAB1980 New Member

Car:
    Fixed!!!!

The only combination which suddenly fixed this after all the dissconecting and touching of cables, was to turn the ignition on, and while its dinging and flashing...disconnect the battery, keys out, leave it a minute, reconnect, and it was fine...? Thanks for all the input guys...:)