If you found your first car now, would you buy it again?

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by 6eggs, Aug 3, 2011.

1. 6eggs

6eggs New Member

Car:
    none
    Mods:
    Wyo
    Sorry Plymouth Sundance, no!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Rust bucket mini? I might, I can weld now so could always fix it up and sell it for decent money then buy another tdi but a faster better one, one from the greener grass on the other side of the fence:D
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It was pushed off a cliff so no :)
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    What was it? (Or who were you getting rid of?:D)
  5. niall

niall New Member

Car:
    golf 4 TDI
    FIAT 127 hatch - very rusty but boy did it go well - yes I think I would (especially as they are so rare now)
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Poor Vinnie Tomasco, RIPjaw drops....that was the name of the car....yeah....

Seriously though, it was an Oldsmobile Bravada. It was basically a GMC Jimmy with a leather interior. The reliability was horrible, over its life it broke down at least 7 times. The differential failed. The fuel pump failed a few times. There was a mystery problem with the electricals where it stalled ON THE HIGHWAY a few times. Luckily I was able to drift over to the side of the road and it started after a minute or so. There's nothing like a driving experience where you're in constant fear of stalling and getting rear ended. It was never repaired but that problem did go away on its own. (That's always comforting:rolleyes:) The fuel manifold had chronic problems. The wheel covers used a metal bolt so after it corroded you couldn't get to the lug nuts - you had to drill the bolt out. Oh and the rust... So you can see why I'm willing to stick it out with VW:pukerofl

It did tow my hobie cat boat and was free hand-me-down transportation so the price was right. The next owner didn't have any complaints as they used it to do a short tow of their food cart from their restaurant to a hot lunch spot. I guess the car didn't like me which was mutual. Finally, they were able to trade it in for cash for clunkers federal program and got a huge discount off a new car. Having the engine destroyed through cash for clunkers was the best thing that ever happened to that car.
  7. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I had an old fiat uno with a 1.1L engine, it was one of the first ones and had a metal tank and metal filler pipe, the filler pipe rusted so water was getting sprayed up and into the tank so every now and then I'd have to pull over, pop the top off the carb, give it a clean out and blow the jets through then stick it all back together and off I'd go again. It also wouldn't go into 5th gear at anything over 50mph. My mate told me he called his Mussolini's revenge:D
  8. tuckman

tuckman New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta Wagon
    Mods:
    Franko6 stage 2 cam, Koni red shocks/struts and wa
    A big yes!!!

A 1971 chev 3/4 ton truck with a factory 400cid. That truck was solid as a rock and had some serious power, 12mpg empty, 12mpg pulling 8000lbs!!! Just as long as the truck wasn't in its current burnt to the ground form it is in now, lol!
    My friend had one and could smoke the tires with a camper on the back!!!
  9. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Depends... if you mean the first car I owned, probably no... if you mean the first car that my girl-friend (and everyone else) talked me out of getting, yes... (it was an old Mercedes Diesel and everyone said that the repairs would kill me... I'd bet it's still running... the VW I did buy lasted 10 months before the rust got it...)

Yuri

PS: that Mercedes is still a sore spot between my (now) wife and me...
  10. Cooper

Cooper Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI SportWagen
    Mods:
    Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Autobahnd clear bra
    1974 Ford Pinto? I think not.

My first new car, however? Yes!

1983 VW Rabbit L.

1.7L with a carb, not fuel injection. 65 h.p. 4 speed. Black with a silver (gray) leatherette interior.
  11. mr rooney

mr rooney Member

Car:
    Seat Ibiza tdi 130 sport 2003
    Mods:
    205 bhp /380ftlbs
    Yes i'd buy my Peugeot 205 gti 1.6 again. Yes it's french but it was fun and gave me many happy memories (many of which were in the back seat with the hand brake on)
  12. flying.bartman

flying.bartman New Member

Car:
    VW TDI 2012
    1979 VW Scirocco. I sure had a lot of fun with that car... Yes.
  13. The Fezman

The Fezman Member

Car:
    2001 new beetle tdi
    my first car was a 1973 MGB, now 25 years later i do wish i had it since ive re-built several from the ground up with other peoples money, i know what mistakes not to make, like raceing my buddy with a fiat spyder and over reving the motor and spinning a rod bearing...then not putting a cam and lifters in it when i rebuilt the motor. the car i really wish i still had was my 89 isuzu pick up 4X4 that i bought brand new as my graduation gift to myself (after the motor in the MG blew up for the second time), i smashed that into a bridge abutment drunk.
  14. schimmerb

schimmerb Member

Car:
    1999.5 Golf GLS TDI 250K
    Yep! 1980 Datsun 310 with 2 doors and 4 speed tranny. Then again it was on Whidby Island Washington, a much slower less stressed time in my life.
  15. Jim W

Jim W Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta-none, 2008 RAM Mega Cab lost the BlueTe
    Yes, in aheart beat.
    A 1957 Chevy 2 door, with a 283 CU IN V8 4 speed on the floor.
    Jim W
  16. immtx

immtx New Member

Car:
    2012 golf tdi with tech package
    80' Toyota corolla nope second car 94' Plymouth Sundance hell no
  17. romeoD

romeoD New Member

Car:
    VW G4V 1,9TDI 81kW AHF
    Yes, I would, but it crashed.
  18. LEZ

LEZ New Member

Car:
    2004 JETTA TDI
    Yes it was an ancient Mini with sliding front windows and a push button start simple to understand and to work on.
    Lez
  19. Carl Taylor

Carl Taylor New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI DSG LE
    Mods:
    None
    Yes I would 1959 VW Bug, loved it great mpg and it was fun to drive handled great in the snow too.
  20. Turbo Lag

Turbo Lag Member

Car:
    99 Jetta TDI
    86 Camaro Z28 T-tops replaced the 302 with a 327 and yes i would buy it again. Wish i still had it.
    Hard to put a baby seat in the back lol