I wanna Turbo charge a golf mk4 1.9 sdi and i need help

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by MauriceA.A, Jul 15, 2017.

1. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    VW Golf mk4 1.9 diesel SDI
    In a week or so i'm going to buy a VW Golf MK4 1.9 SDI and as i seen online these cars are bulletproof lol
    the car i'm looking to get is super clean and has no dents or anything and it has the original engine in it, but the fact that it has 68HP... it'll do for a while but i could use a bit more power
    I know the SDI engine is the same as the TDI apart from the turbo part but... here what's worrying me
    the engine has 540,000 Kilometers on it which is roughly about 335,000 Miles
    would it be safe to go ahead and turbo charge it since it has high Mileage?
    Also it's really hard to find a MK4 TDI for a good price at least here where i live
    so if it's a risk I won't do it
    Thanks.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    I hate to tell ya this, but Super-charging or Turbo-charging this naturally aspired engine, especially with 335,000 miles on it, would be a huge waste of time and money...assuming you didn't blow it up in the process. Motors and their components must be built to take the power/boost and this one is not...even new. Sorry.

3. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    Alright, thanks!
    guess it'll do for what it is for the meantime, maybe later i would swap it's engine with a 1.9TDI one maybe a rebuilt one
    it would fit right?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    The complete conversion would be a logistical nightmare and cost more than buying one outright. Buy what you have to for now...save for what you want to buy later. Just my friendly as a Mechanic.

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    i do not understand the issue.... guess im a cheap person.. other then valve guids, aka valve job.. a set of rings/bearings and a used turbo/ic set up with pipes, a comp modded to eliminate all the silly stuff including immo... when i say eliminate.. stuff like egr, maf and such.. would be a simple "upgrade" via shipping from say us.. this way you do not need to worry about wiring or different components..except adding a valve to operate the vnt turbo..

now i myself... since in a place i bet they exist... a range rover defender 300... or 200 even.. has a mechanical fuel pump requiring a throttle cable (i use these on tdi swaps into older vws as i import them from the uk).. this will bolt to your engine... no computer required... do a gov mod.. set of nozzles, a old school style non vnt turbo, lots of options like holsets or older vw turbos.. you will be smiles ear to ear... ive driven quite a few "fast big hp" vws and id say easy 150hp.. this is with a older small little vw tdi turbo from a mk3... but real ic and exhaust.. the turbo is my "restriction" in this set up... i have plans though... ive heard the older t3 style vw turbo from old 83-88 will pull 200hp on this set up...

but you need to refresh the engine... i love the high milage blocks as they tend to be in the nice its loose and broken in state... by 280k mi they all need a valve job.. to turbo a car with bad valve guids will cause lotsa oil breather leaks.. if mine and planning it out... arp head studs, rod studs, main bolts to eliminate the tty stuff thats stock so if you ever have to work on it again you can reuse the hardware.. and imo your in a country that this to me a good idea... you will also be able to add much more boost vs stock.. unless you have a vw dealer to buy bolts from... they are 4-10$ each.. 10xheadbolts, 8xrod bolts, 10xmain bolts... so if you have to touch any of it twice the arp stuff is same cost... something i wish i did as to buy them 2x sux.. ive lifted the head 2 times now from too much boost... and really wanna inspect the bearings after 80k hard boy racer miles and running it low on oil too many times to count from blowing turbos.. on #3 and 1 broken oil feed line

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    I could buy a complete used VW Golf MK4 1.9 "TDI" (with less miles) for less than it would cost just to rebuild and convert the one being discussed. And don't be fooled by what you've seen from fans online...these VW's are far from bullet-proof.

What ever you decide to do MauriceA.A...I wish you the best.

MauriceA.A likes this.
  7. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    he is in Israel... not usa... not europe.. so supply vs demand... his supply is limited

MauriceA.A likes this.
  8. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Afaik the engines are mechanically not identical, e.g. no oil spray cooling for the pistons.
    On top of that -besides the turbo and exhaust - new engine harness, new ECU, intercooler, air ducts,....

9. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    squirters.... yes nice to have... but old 1.5/1.6 lack unless td, and many added turbos to the not squirter blocks over the years...

next if he has access to rover fuel pumps.. electronics are quickly put to bed.. yea its not a perfect world.. but it will work and save lotta time... just need to add throttle cable..and imo.. it will be more reliable with less stuff to force you to walk thru a desert when something like crank sensor fails..

adding a ic is not that hard.. think of all the tdi swaps people have made.. same for exhaust.. a little custom work less difficult then sorcing all the factory crap.. but things like the ic, upper boost pipe, lower boost pipe can be used with new turbo to factory piece made.. again.. its a matter of mail order vs freight... few small items to ship vs a complete swap in a crate

you can get a pd150 intake manifold and a "race pipe" to eliminate the egr from the intake... people use the pd150 manifold as a upgrade from what comes stock on that year tdi...

he will have to custom fab the exhaust down pipe, the pipe from turbo to air filter, the oil lines... and the short piece between the turbo and lower factory ic pipe.. its just a rubber boost hose stock and is what vw changed between the years to fit different trbos..

quit being haters... so many you cannot do that stuff in this world that i myself have done and had success.. my father is a good example of "that will not work" and me.. "watch me" and ive won more times then not.. i grew up working in his garage and why im into the vw diesel as deep as i am.. much deeper then him due to that attitude..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    All engines use oil thrown out from the crankshaft to lubricate the cylinder bores and cool. Some engines have an hole in the connecting rod that sprays oil on the trust side of the bore.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    crsmp5 nobody is being a hater, in fact I love certain TDI engines...just not the smog crap. The rest of the car...well...we are not addressing that here. Just an SDI to TDI swap as requested. This conversion is possible and guarantee myself and many here could do it, but the OP must be made aware of the reality that the costs and logistics are neither the thrifty or practical path.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  12. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    This is not what I am talking about, Sir. I talk about the particular oil spray nozzles that spray at the underside of the pistons in TDI engines. You can google for "TDI Oil Spray Nozzles".
    In the given case one needs to know the particular engine codes, and if/where base engine and oil distribution are identical or different for SDI and TDI (from the manufacturers parts catalogue).
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    What about a remap? A cheaper solution that would give it some more power
    Is it possible to remap my 1.9sdi? To get at least 80-90hp
    Cause after driving it around for a few days it doesnt feel like it needs much more
    Also would it smoke if i do remap it?
    Cause a smoking vehicle calls for trouble around here :/

14. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    You have the wrong car regarding your needs...

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    I would respectfully suggest MauriceA.A is young and unseasoned with respects to cars and buying. We were all there once. ANY car or light truck with this many miles on the clock is not something you want to throw this kind or money at unless it's strictly to repair...or to restore as a collectible TOY. I would suggest neither of these categories would be wise with said vehicle...but that's me.

16. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    Actually it does suit my needs i was just thinking if it's possible to give it a bit more power somehow
    If not it'll do enough for what it is

17. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    You're right sir
    I am young (20) and i know very little about cars
    For a daily driver it's alright but it could use a bit more hp.
    Scratch the turbo idea
    Is it possible to at least remap the ecu to give it a little more hp? Around 10-15 more hp?
    Didn't sound like much but I'm sure it'll make a difference
    I love my new car to bits but you know... I'm young 68hp... For my first car.. yeeeah.
    If it isn't possible it'll do for what it is
    Thanks!

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    We all had a "first car". Polish the dents, maintain and show her love. Just know, like other "firsts" in life...your relationship won't be the best...but you'll always remember her. ;)

19. MauriceA.A

MauriceA.A New Member

Car:
    Haha we'll see xD