I Love my FORD Mustang too.

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by gt4494, Sep 17, 2011.

1. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Due to life events I parked my 1984 Mustang GT in a barn about 1 year ago. Didn't do anything special just pulled it in and shut it off. This weekend I had time to go look at it. Battery was dead as can be so I put a charger on it. After it charged I decided to crank it over a see if it would get oil pressure. About the same time pressure came up it fired off. Ran a little rough at first but smoothed out after a few minutes. Pulled it out and let it come up to temp. Brakes were a little soft but the pedal came up after a few pumps. Shut it down checked all the vitals and then went for a ride around the neighborhood.

I love my VW TDI but there is no substitute for cubic inches (or Cubic Centimeters for my friends across the pond :eek:)

Don't recommend anybody storing a car like this and no I won't be putting many miles on it before a complete fluid change but ,,, to let it sit that long and crank right up let alone be drivable is Amazing.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Yeh but I bet if it was european it'd have a lot more poke for the same size lol:p
  3. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Probably higher HP numbers but there is no substitute for torque.:D

Put a high hp 4 cylinder in high gear at an idle and put the pedal to the floor. See what happens. With the big torque V8 it never stumbles or hesitates, just pushes you further back in the seat...:thumbsup

Plus its great fun to be doing 20 - 30 mph, downshift then nail it and have the back tires go up in smoke. Not very productive but a lot of fun....

But it sure doesn't get 40+ mpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I also have a basic performance modified 300zx twin turbo (over 400 torque, close to 390 hp). It's a great car and still good looking and drives well but I don't drive it as much as I'd like. For one, when it gets cold the summer tires turn into hockey pucks. When it rains I'm one of the slowest cars on the highway since wide tires are much more likely to hydroplane. (A camaro once challenged me in the pouring rain, I was thinking this guy must be insane!) The mileage sucks but it's not like I'm taking it on road trips.

My one concern is that it's already 21 years old and maintenance on it is more difficult than any car I have ever seen. I don't expect the hoses to last much longer and it's pretty much required to pull the engine for that, which I don't want to do. Changing the fuel injectors took me a week, no joke. Removing the downpipes has to be done blind as there is no clearance and you have to use a shorty crescent wrench a tiny turn at a time. I've thought of a total overhaul for 500 streetable hp with some upgrades but it's $$$ and a lot of work. That money could go lot of other places so it's not worth it. In the end, it's not depreciating anymore so there's no reason to sell it either.

Like they say, more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!:nana2:
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    The price of fuel is totally over the top for us but we do have a lot of V8's and V10's that would thrash the tits off your muscle cars but they don't have that nostalgia attached to them so they're a bit cold emotionally.
  6. Wook60

Wook60 New Member

Car:
    2001 Red VW Jetta TDI 5-speed
    Mods:
    PP520 nozzles, DG Racepipe, PD lift Pump
    I had an '83 T Top GT with the 5 speed and 5.0 That car was a lot of fun, sometimes I wish I hung onto it.