I lost my power

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by jjwarb, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jjwarb

jjwarb New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta/2006
    I just finished working on my car. I pulled the motor out to repair the clutch, replaced the timing belt ,water pump etc. I also replaced several gaskets to repair oil leaks and cleaned the motor.
    Now that I have it reinstalled I have no boost power and my check engine light is on. I also noticed on my test drive that the cruise control is not working. (maybe a clue for the lack of power).
    The check engine light is on all the time. I think it might be in limp mode all the time. At first I did forget to plug in 2 sensors (both sol valves that are real close together and have the same connector.) I connected them in and no change. I even tried swapping the connectors and still no change. Do the faults need to be cleared before it will run properly? When in limp mode will it disable the cruise control? I only disconnected the minimum vacumn hoses so to not reconnect wrong.
    Any help or Ideas? The car ran perfect before I pulled it out. It restarted great for having th e fuel lines off. Idle speed is perfect and smooth.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    You'll have missed something puting it back together, a vac line, boost pipe or something, a lot of people do. I've no idea about cruise control and no the fault codes shouldn't need cleared first.:)

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    :+1 on what he said.Take a look through the limp mode FAQ article and low power article. It's probably something simple that you're overlooking.

welcometomyturbodies
  4. jjwarb

jjwarb New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta/2006
    Ok, I double checked everything, all hose connected and plugs are plugged in.
    I find vacuum to the boost solenoid but the solenoid is not accuating. (if I connect the hose in and out together I can hear the turbo sound kick in.) So this solenoid is not energizing. I need to know what othe sensors are monitored to tell the ECU to turn this on.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Map sensor, It might be on one of the boost pipes?:)
  6. jjwarb

jjwarb New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta/2006
    Thank you Seatman....
    all fixed. I found the MAP sensor(Located by the radiator) and it was unpluged.
    I missed it because my hood sensor had gone south about a year ago so I was used to a connection (In same area) to be unpluged.
    Thanks for the help. So glad to have it back.
    Stats on my car... has 227000 miles, this was the first clutch That it needed. (The dual mass flywheel went bad). I also replaced the original timing belt at this time.
    Been a great car for me so far.
  7. Vent5

Vent5 New Member

:thumbsup You didn't even have to test the sensor!
  8. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Excellent, it's always something like that that catches you out.:)
  9. jjwarb

jjwarb New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta/2006
    I forgot to mention.
    My cruise control problem is also fixed. I guess when it is in limp mode that it disables it...?
    Will my check engine light go off if I disconnect the battery?
    Also. Does anyone know how to get the air bag light to turn off or does it need to be reset at dealer. Been on for 3 yrs now ever sense I was checking fuses for my air conditioner problem. I know there is a bulletin on it but the dealer wanted $90.00 to do it..
  10. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Maybe there's an enthusiast in your area with vcds who could help you out, you could put out a shout on here or the other tdi site, certainly a lot cheaper. I bought the autel maxscan vag405 which is great for reading and clearing faults, it does all the airbag stuff too but you can't do adjustments with it.:)
  11. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    CEL will not go off with batteyr disconnect. Depending on the code, it may go off after a certain number of engine starts.

The airbag light can be reset with a VCDS. Most obd2 scanners can't do it. I think autozone can do it but they're not supposed to (not sure). There is a recall inspection on the air bag wire harness, if you go to dealer they should do the service and turn off the light as part of it.