HVAC Fan noise?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by probstk, Oct 19, 2011.

1. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Highline 6sp
    Mods:
    Dieselgeek Sigma 6 shift kit
    My HVAC fan has an intermittent whine/whistle/bearing screech (?). I don't here it at speed 1, it can start occasionally once speed 2 has been on for a while, is present more often at speed 3 from the start and seems to go away if I go all the way to speed 4 and then back down to 2 or 3.

I'll have it looked at next time I go for service, but am interested to know if others have experienced this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    Had it for one day last year, that was almost 24,000 miles ago, hasn't happened since.
  3. 1120jettatdi

1120jettatdi New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Sedan
    Fan whistle

I get the same noise. My car makes the noise whenever the heat is on and the fan is on speed three. If the engine is cold it doesn't make the noise. Only when the engine is warm and blowing hot air. It does this on defrost, floor, or vent setting. I'm not one to complain about interior rattles etc... but I find this highly annoying as I can hear it even when my radio is on. Dealer refuses to fix it saying other cars on the lot make the same noise. When my dog is in the car I can't set the fan on level three because the dog whines and becomes restless.
  4. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    Mods:
    That's a BS response from the dealer. I'll provide feedback once I've taken mine in. And in the meantime, no canine passengers! :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
  5. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Lo and behold, I got the same bull**** answer! "Performs to VW spec", "checked Jetta in showroom and noise is similar". Gonna try again at the next service and will visit a couple of dealers for research in the meantime. Sigh.
  6. freeflyer

freeflyer Member

Car:
    Golf Wagon TDI 2010
    i had the same problem and my dealer replaced the fan motor on (extended) warranty. After the exchange the noise was gone. it took 130000km (18month) for the fan motor to fail.
    My dealer is in Vaudreuil, not toooo far from Ottawa...
  7. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    I know that others with A5's have had fan failures as early as 36K miles. My A5 is at 102K miles and still works and is quiet on all speeds.

Something I always do is never turn the fan to zero, always at least to 1 because I suspect if the fan sits idle for long periods of time, the commutator oxidizes which will cause noise when you do use it.

I noticed that after my car sat for about a month when I did the clutch, the fan was slightly noisy for a little while after I got the car back on the road.

Of course assuming the fan will last longer if it doesn't sit idle is just a theory on my part.
  8. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Tierod Ends, Adj Sway Bars. Panzer Plate.
    The fan is loud on max setting. leaving it on any setting other than max setting, causes it to use the resistor to lower the voltage (thus the fan speed), causing the resistor to burn out prematurely. This was the case for MK1-III. I assume they still use this type of technolgy.
  9. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Loud I can handle. The whistling can't be right. If the resistor is gonna burn out, let's hope it does so under warranty!
  10. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Update: Asked to have this looked at during 30K service (at another dealership). Same answer: "That's how they all sound, checked some cars on the lot". I still don't buy it.
  11. Mike O

Mike O Member

Car:
    Jetta/2006
    Mods:
    frostheater, Colt Stage II cam
    fan noises

Ok here's my 2 cents. I have had noisy fans on chevys, toyautos, etc, usually an indication of poorly lubed bearings (oil-light, oil impregnated, etc.). the fan in my '06 jetta squeals when cold, like below freezing, so I run on low speed until the noise goes away, then index the speed up as the need arises. Running at full blast when cold will only speed the motor bearings demise....

Cheers