1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

How to unlock RNS510 VIM TV Free for free (video in motion to play dvd while driving)

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Aug 15, 2011.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I found some info on another VW navigation board on how to do this but it's been deleted by the mods. So here is a summary and clearly explained article on how to unlock the RNS510 VIM video in motion (TV free) dvd player capability. This previously cost about $150 US for the plug-in box and here is all the info you need for free. The donation button is at the bottom of the forum page if this saved you some money. As of the last edit, this is reported to work on all part numbers of the RNS-510 including Touareg versions. First, here is some background:

1. The RNS-510 DVD player will stop playing video faster around 5 mph. This is for safety's sake. There are dvd players in many minivans and it's the responsibility of an adult to decide if they want to enable this on their car and when to use this capability. Make sure to remove this feature before you sell the car to a third party. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service Agreement legal disclaimer stop reading and leave the website.

2. There are hardware devices that will get allow video in motion. They do something to the speed signal which can also change how the GPS works when the GPS signal is lost (like when in a tunnel). This is because the car uses sensor input to determine position when the GPS signal is lost. These are also expensive.

3. There are many RNS-510 hardware versions and firmware versions. This script will work across multiple versions. Most people report success but a few have reported failure. So far, nobody has reported a frozen unit but it's possible whenever you edit the firmware. DO NOT do this hack if you're not willing to eat a $1800 mistake for the trade off of getting VIM dvd in motion capability. And of course, myturbodiesel.com is not responsible for anything that YOU do out of your own free will to hack your car. I am not providing the script and did not write it, another website did. There are too many versions and combinations for me to know if it'll work on your car since there could be an unknown difference so please post if it works for you or not, your RNS510 hardware and firmware versions, and model/year. I have no way of verifying if posters are telling the truth so again, do this at your own risk.

There are software methods to enable VIM but you must use the Continental service tool which is very expensive and not easily obtainable. Continental is the company that makes the RNS-510.

The way to get VIM yourself is the same idea behind how the Continental tool does it - by changing a value in an internal chip to cut the dvd player at 255 mph instead of 5 mph. This basically raises the limit at which the DVD player will cut off. This is not a firmware flash, it's a script that hacks the RNS-510 and changes this value.

Burn a CD with the iso (cd image file) that contains the script. Some people report that they have to press and hold the eject, day/night, and guide buttons (try it first without doing this reboot). Immediately insert the CD and release the buttons. The video demo below shows just inserting the CD and that's it. Let it run. It may reboot a few times, just let it run. When done, it will display an OK message. Even though some people have reported an OK message, it hasn't worked for them.

So here is the site where you can download the iso file. http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/US_RNS-510_Video_In_Motion The file you want to download is "RECODE VIM Berto89.zip" at the bottom. Extract it. Burn the image file "VIM_Berto89.iso" inside the zip file to a blank CD. The slower speed, the better. There are many free iso burning programs out there and most branded computers come with them. Then insert the CD as described above and shown in the video below. If you wish to revert the changes, use the other iso in the zip file to run the restore script. If your unit really does become frozen, try doing the reset procedure. If it's still frozen, you were warned!

Here is a demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyWByh2pYg

I have a first version RNS510 and I've tried it a million different ways, it won't work on mine. It just says CD/DVD error.

Total time was about 3 minutes. Your results may vary.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Here's the file for archiving and some other stuff :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  4. ScHaPaH

ScHaPaH New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1P Facelift 2009
    Very useful job ! I'mma try this on my Led Star version and let you know how it goes !
  5. alevero81

alevero81 New Member

Car:
    Golf 6 GTD
    Hi, can you send me the file VIM_Berto89.zip ? ?
    I can't find this....I've find only the RECODE....

Thanks
  6. Aseras

Aseras New Member

Car:
    2010 Sportwagen TDI
    The recode file has 2 iso files in the zip file. The VIM to enable and the recode to disable.
  7. NoneRock

NoneRock New Member

Car:
    '69 Type 1/'10 GTI
    This worked perfectly for me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Kchorro

Kchorro New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    I did not work for me on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium.
    I did the process 2 times as it shows on the video posted above but at the time of driving the video stops...
    Any advise of what I need to do to make it works???
    Please let me know...
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did the software update finish? Some people said that using different CD brand or software program to burn the CD resulted in success.
  10. Aseras

Aseras New Member

Car:
    2010 Sportwagen TDI
    Dont put the key in. Leave the car off, put the disc in, turn on the radio with the power button and reboot it with <> and the star/sun/moon key.
  11. Kchorro

Kchorro New Member

Car:
    That what I did. Idid not start the car and just turn the NAV on with the button. I did this process twice and the message on the unit was successful but I doesn't work after all.
    May be that this new RNS 510 for the Passat came block or better hack free?
    Any advise to make it works?
  12. pocas007

pocas007 New Member

Car:
    BORA/2011
    Hi im from mexico this file works for me in my rns 510 FW 3970, i dont have any problem thanks for the file
  13. sowleman

sowleman New Member

Car:
    2011 VW CC
    You said "I used a different iso burning program and it now works fine!"

Can you tell me what program? I am having the same issue.

Thank you!
  14. sowleman

sowleman New Member

Car:
    2011 VW CC
    Actually I finally got it to work. I downloaded Free ISO Burner (from www.freeisoburner.com )and it worked like a charm!
  15. TDI_Brad

TDI_Brad Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Mods:
    Cool Stuff
    Hey that worked for me. Thanks.
  16. swich2mac

swich2mac New Member

Car:

What exactly worked for you Brad? Noticed that you have a 2012 TDI and so do I so I am interested the steps you took to update your Passat with VIM. Thanks!

Scott
  17. kstaw00

kstaw00 New Member

Car:
    Passat
    Worked for me as well. Has to do hard reset before inserting CD.
  18. swich2mac

swich2mac New Member

Car:
    Yup, worked just fine for me as well, such a simple mod to perform!

Scott
  19. pkhoury

pkhoury New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW TDI, DSG, Panoramic sunroof, crappy RNS-510
    Mods:
    VCDS
    I couldn't get the update to work, so I followed the advice from here and elsewhere on google. Used the free iso utility, and burned at the lowest speed to a DVD and no go. Did it again with a CD-R and it works perfectly, so hopefully this helps anyone else out. I don't remember if I did it with the key in ACC or without the key (as for a FW update), but it works.
  20. TDI_Brad

TDI_Brad Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Mods:
    Cool Stuff
    Sorry I missed your post Scott. Using the different iso burner worked for me. But I see you got it work for you now.

I think it cool that if you have a DVD playing the nav still works and gives directions on the dash. And if you get a phone call it pauses the DVD. This all way more than I expected.