How to replace camshaft on ASV engine

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by paulograve, Jul 29, 2012.

1. paulograve

paulograve New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 TDI ASV 2001
    Hi guys
    Can anyone please tell me were to find a good tutorial on how to replace camshaft, lifters and bearings on a ASV engine? I think the procedure is the same as ALH engines.
    I now more or less how to do it, but i dont want to mess up by not taking all necessary precautions and procedures.
    Cheers
    login to remove this ad
  2. paulograve

paulograve New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 TDI ASV 2001
    This is why i want to replace it, i bought the car recently and its running fine, i dont know how this happened but i dont feel safe with a camshaft like this, it was the previous owner that made this, i dont have a clue how...
    Its only on 1 lobe and 1 lifter, all other ones look ok.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Yeh same as the ALH, you just have better piston design but the rest is pretty much the same. Anyway follow the tutorial for locking the engine down for doing the timing belt then remove the cam and lifters, fit the new ones then just be sure the two lobes nearest the timing belt are pointing up in a V configuration when installing the cam and put it back together as per the timing belt faq. That's about the size of it really, just need the torque settings for the camshaft cap bolts/nuts which is 20 NM or 15lbs/ft according to haynes.
  4. paulograve

paulograve New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 TDI ASV 2001
    Thanks Seatman
    And is there a proper configuration for unbolting and tightening the camshaft, like on the cylinder head?
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    It says to lube everything as you go i.e. oil the tappets/lifters then fit, oil the cam bearings, oil the caps and fit numbers 2 and 4 first and tighten them down in a diagonal sequence and also make sure they're the right way round, then oil and fit caps 1 2 and 3 and tighten them down in the same sort of way with a diagonal sequence. Make sure to also lube the seal and fit it with flat side facing out. That's it, take pics as you go to keep yourself right if needed.
  6. RGC

RGC New Member

Car:
    1998 AUDI A4 1.9TDI
    Hi Paul i am having the same problem as it looks like your engine has had, my lifter has damaged the camshaft as it has hit the small pieces of metal from the lifter about in the camshaft cover, see pictures below,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be changing the lifter but need to know the sequence of re-torque the cam nuts back down and basically as you said in your post i don't want to mess up by not taking all necessary precautions and procedures so any pointers will be much appreciated,

:)