How to fit a new boot(trunk) lid??

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Stinky, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Stinky

Stinky New Member

Gentlemen (and ladies)
    Once more I seek your superior knowledge.
    due to the rear hatch of my veg oil burning mk3 golf D having more holes in it than a BP pipeline , the time has come to put a newer one on it. ( the foul veg oil gases are killing my kids in the back).
    I am assuming that you just free up the hinge bolts, and Helmut has kindy installed a big connector for all the wiring, which i simply unplug, before reversing the process to fit the new one.
    Reality i am sure will be a nightmare!
    Anyone have any top tips?? Please.
    Thanks in advance.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Vent5

Vent5 New Member

It should be pretty straightforward. Unplug the connector, reconnect the connector. I'd leave the bolts not all the way tightened so that you can easily check and adjust alignment before really tightening them down. Too loose and it could move though. Why does it have holes. Rust?
  3. Stinky

Stinky New Member

Yes, mainly rust. pretty much all of the metal behing the number plate has rotted through, hence the exhaust gases are coming in.
    Where is the connector for the wiring to be found?
  4. Tastes like Diesel

Tastes like Diesel New Member

Car:
    1996 Jetta TD
    rear lid removal

There are wires and pneumatic tube(s?) going into both sides of the lid near the area of the hinges. Sorry I don't know how they can be disconnected, I didn't have to do that at the time. There are two bolts on either side of the lid that keep it attached the hinges. You would be best off to have a helper with you when you release these bolts so that the lid doesn't slide off and strike the back window or paint.

I released the bolts with the lid partially raised and when one side was completely released the hinge popped completely open and the lid pivoted striking the glass and chipping paint off the lid. Doh!

I also found a rust hole under the lisence plate holder. When the vehicle was last painted someone plugged the hole with goo of some sort. Sadly this was not the way to go and may have let water to continue leaking into the lid and trunk thus causing further rust damage.