How to fine tune a TDI engine using VCDS

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by oldbeaver, Oct 11, 2011.

1. oldbeaver

oldbeaver New Member

Car:
    Skoda Octavia MK2 1.9 tdi
    Mods:
    Only aero (small)
    Hi all,

It may be useful if some of the gurus of the forum make a short summary on how to fine tinning a TDI PD engine, taking advantage of the VCDS tool, or other similar tool.

For instance, timing belt setup, EGR setup, or other setup, focusing in getting the best mileage or, in getting max power.

I am not talking about "proper" setting or factory setting, but am talking about some more experimental setting to focus on a precise objective. Factory setting is the best compromise setting.

Besides, as timing belt become used, there may be the possibility of little corrections to get the most.

Another way to improve performance may be to regulate recirculation of exhaust gases aiming a precise objective too.

I know that these concepts are covered somehow on this forum, but having them grouped may be useful for experimenters.

Waiting for yr answers,

OldBeaver
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Don't know what you can do on the PD engine, there's some stuff you can do on the older engine like timing and turning the egr down etc but the PD, no idea.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You can adjust the timing belt position slightly, see the PD camshaft idle adjustment FAQ article for more.

I can't think of other engine tweaks possible with VCDS on PD. I don't think you can adjust the glow plug duration on PD or adjust the EGR. These are done through chip tuning.

There are lots of chassis mods and are listed in the FAQ.
  4. oldbeaver

oldbeaver New Member

Car:
    Skoda Octavia MK2 1.9 tdi
    Mods:
    Only aero (small)
    TDI PD mods that can be done with the help of VCDS

ChittyChittybangbang:

Please check "Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System" in:
    http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j

Tell us what you think. Is it possible with a PD TDI?

Check also:
    "Big changes from tiny adjustments"
    http://autospeed.com/cms/A_112521/article.html

These are two I have run into, but there may be other also.

The idea is just to put together the links to the best mods we can make, with the use of VCDS.

OldBeaver
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The other site's FAQ is quite outdate, the PD came out after its last update.... You can't recalibrate EGR on a PD with VCDS and most believe that mod will reduce mpg since the ECU will compensate. I haven't tried it myself so don't know.

The camshaft timing adjustment on PD is already in the FAQ for idle adjustment on PD engines and I think it's mentioned in the new owner checklist. If there's any new useful links that I can archive here it'll get added to the FAQ.