1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

How to disassemble WD western digital element hard drive, install esata enclosure

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by chittychittybangbang, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    offtopic2
    I recently bought an esata external enclosure to use with my western digital elements external backup hard drive. I would prefer usb 3.0 since my case-motherboard has it but this one was on sale. Even though usb 3.0's top speeds are much faster than esata, real world speeds when using hard drives are about the same. In fact, esata might even be slightly faster for hard drives.

Many computers don't have esata ports and macs can't use usb 3.0 in case anyone was wondering. Also, the USB 3.0 port is new but a usb 3.0 device will still work in a 2.0 port and vice versa, just at the 2.0 speeds. I did notice some weird things, for example, when my 2.0 flash drive was plugged into the 3.0 port, it wasn't showing up under a windows virtual machine. I think there are still some minor compatibility bugs to work out as the usb 3.0 comes from an additional chip on the mobo.

My mobo has an esata port so I can hot swap it. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that they put a good hard drive in the WD enclosure. I estimate transfer speeds jumped to around 80-90 mb/second. :nana2:
    The video shows disassembly of the WD elements hard drive case and my new enclosure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjnBxywuWc
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    E-SATA ?? USB-3 ???

I must have been napping and missed those two coming on the market... (I still have one dedicated system running Windoze XP that has been sitting around waiting for me to hook it up... Perhaps I should sleep a bit less...)

Yuri