how to bypass or temparaily disable the immobilizer

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by 01beetle, Nov 19, 2010.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Please read the immobilizer FAQ. If all the troubleshooting steps don't work, try them again. If they still don't work, wait and try them again. If you don't have the luxury of waiting then tow to dealer.
    login to remove this ad
  2. ranchmom5

ranchmom5 New Member

Car:
    My daughter drilled a hole in her key because the clip on the end broke off...now the key won't work at all. We live in a remote area and have to drive 2 hours to a dealer for a new key. Is there a way to bypass?

ranchmom5
  3. johnny66

johnny66 New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2000
    I also have the same problem, wish there was an easy way to bypass that immobilizer
  4. NorthstarVW

NorthstarVW New Member

Car:
    2001 Beetle
    I have a 2001 beetle, and recently the blade of my key broke off from the from fob. im trying to find a way to get the car running so i can drive it to the dealership for a new key.
  5. Spenny

Spenny New Member

Car:
    2000 jetta
    me too

I have the same problem. It seems to be especially true on hot days.
  6. bonet83

bonet83 New Member

Car:
    2004 audi s4
    audi s4 2004

i have the same problem with my s4 with imo 3
  7. Bengone1

Bengone1 New Member

Car:
    98 GTi, 82 Caddy
    Tape the fob. As close to the key hole as possible that allows you to turn the key.
  8. turbocharged798

turbocharged798 New Member

Car:
    99.5 Jetta TDI, 04 Jetta TDI
    Ok, the immobliser is built into the ECU. No amount of wire cutting(ridiculous suggestion BTW) is going to get you there. The ECU needs the "engine start permitted" status from the gauge cluster which is done via can-bus. The engine will not run otherwise.

The only way to successfully bypass the immo is to send the ECU to the chip tuner. Period. There is a reason you can't bypass it, because it's there to keep people from stealing your car! If it was easy to bypass, then what the heck would be the point of it?

My suggestion for most people is to just go the dealer.
  9. bairsjw

bairsjw New Member

Car:
    Vw Amarok 2012
    Amarok key

Hi, first post, and not sure if I have the right spot exactly! Have a my 12.5 Amarok and only got one remote key, ( bought new) have been told at least $350 for a new key from vw, but the problem is the vw dealer is over 2000km away! I live in a small town of 5000 people so there is no advanced level locksmith's around, so it seems I need the skc and vag com software (which I have) but still not sure or the process, or if it's even possible on such a new car. Have done some some coding like stereo and when the doors lock, but that it! The skc seems to be the sticking point!
  10. roadracer1966

roadracer1966 New Member

Car:
    2003 Audi TT
    I've had a similar problem with my 2003 TT.
  11. jorgejimenez

jorgejimenez New Member

Car:
    audi tt 2001
    is that possible i remove my cluster now the car wont start
  12. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    cluster must be connected to start, it won't start without cluster if that is your question
  13. vungoc

vungoc New Member

Car:
    audi S8/1998
    Hi,
    I have audi S8/98 with key signal low, i look for a solution, thanks yours help
  14. Lukas1

Lukas1 New Member

Car:
    Fabia 2002 Tdi
    I have same problem to for while now i duno what to do i so lost
  15. dsando

dsando New Member

Car:
    2001 New Beetle
    Post to read info...
    2001 New Beetle, Shelby, NC, Runs for 1 sec and quits.
  16. ericdammann

ericdammann New Member

Car:
    2001 new beetle
    I too am having problems with the immobilizer on a 2001 NB.. It only came with one key, and the dealer has been unable to pair any new keys to it. They say the cluster is going bad, but they no longer make them and I can't find any online. If the cluster is bad would sending the ECU for a chip tuning or bench flash by useless? I'd like to disengage the immobilizer permanently if possible.
    Thanks, Eric
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You can get bypass boxes on ebay but they are temp solutions, and have to get the right one. A bench flash will let the engine start but the immo light will still come on unless you sharpie it or disable the LED.

If it were my car, I would get a copied key and glue the immo chip to the cylinder. Just be super careful removing it...cheaper, no immo light, and you're not in a rush. If you break the immo chip, then you have a problem...

18. ericdammann

ericdammann New Member

Car:
    2001 new beetle
    Thanks. I am a little wary of messing with the one key that works, at least for now (I've also tried to start the car holding the good key next to the cylinder while using the new key, but that didn't work).
    What makes the bypass box temporary- any way to permanently install them?
    Regarding a bench flash- after that all the keys should work, and the only issue is the immo light will be on?
  19. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It will work if you remove the unprogrammed chip from new key but you have to hold key EXACTLY in the sweet spot. Soak the good chip-pill in nail polish remover for a few hours, slowly poke it, if it comes out easily, that's the best solution.

bypass box are all made in china, very sketchy, don't know exactly how they work but I've heard positive results.

yes.
  20. eutiquio jurado

eutiquio jurado New Member

Car:
    volkswagen jetta 2001 1,8L
    I need help to bypass immobilizer on my father in laws 2001 jetta, he drilled a hole in the key and ruined the rfid chip. Now the car would start but stop right away.
    I can take it to the dealer but we are 40 miles away to the closest one.

Any suggestions?