How much did you pay for your Chevy Cruze Diesel under MSRP or invoice price?

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by chittychittybangbang, Aug 17, 2013.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I'm hearing anywhere from $1000 - $3400 under MSRP. $3400 is an extreme data point but that would be a very good deal.

Considering the equipment they come with, these cars are priced very competitively with the VW Jetta.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The "Other" subforum was removed since it wasn't too busy and didn't have a clear distinction of stuff to go in there vs. other subforums.

The site was originally VAG but if people want to come here for Cruze diesel stuff I'd like to welcome them and grow the site.

So how much did you pay for your Chevy Cruze? I'm hearing some decent discounts off MSRP even though they're a new car.

4. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Does this mean you are going to buy one? Still not convinced on the run flats. That is a deal breaker for me, get a flat somewhere far away and you will sit till a tire can be shipped in. That is not a good scenario. That and the auto tragic.

5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No, not in the market for a new car nor have I ever bought a new car (too cheap :D) However, I know some people who make parts for the TDI are about to buy a Cruze diesel and start developing parts for it. The engine comes with an overboost of up to 10 seconds to boost torque to 280 but the brochure doesn't say it boosts HP. That seems like an easy place for gains.

6. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    I am curious, who makes the diesel engine?

I think Daewoo makes the Aveo gas engine

7. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Fair enough. Last new car I bought was a 98 MK III tdi of all things. Long gone now, Like you, I do not like to take the hit on depreciation. Get more satisfaction working on a "well used" car than owning a worry free new car. That is just no fun for a car guy. And do not even think about buying a GM car when you are anywhere near former GM bond holders. They will burn you at the stake, and then get nasty with you. Those guys will not forget the shaft they got from the government.

8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    All I can find is that GM makes it. They sold 33,000 Cruze diesels in 2012, just not in North America. Here is some stuff from their press kit:

Here are some tech details on it:

iron cylinder block and a forged steel crankshaft
    aluminum cylinder head and aluminum intake manifold
    engine weighs 408 lbs
    Dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers
    aluminum pistons with reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design
    Variable-swirl intake manifold design
    Common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors
    Variable-displacement oil pump helps save fuel by optimizing the oil pressure, which reduces friction
    Ceramic glow plugs
    B20 bio-diesel compatibility

Transmission is a AF40 made in Japan by Aisin.

9. erikwi

erikwi Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta mk5 TDI
    Mods:
    DG Sigma5 shift kit, Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, race pipe, more to come!
    Several of the car mags did intro stories on the Cruze when it hit the market and I think one of the articles said the engine was from the Opel division in Europe. IIRC the article said it is built by Fiat. Might've been Car and Driver, August issue? Don't remember now and those mags are long in the recycling bin.

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Found a few more details. Engine is by Opel, assembled in Kaiserslautern, Germany, designed in Torino, Italy and Ruesselsheim, Germany. Almost the same as the Euro engine except for the Urea system to meet US emissions, ceramic glow plugs, and small change to the intake, probably for emissions (unknown reason).

11. ghostman1

ghostman1 New Member

Car:
    g8 gt 2009
    Mods:
    none
    my car has no spare, with OnStar and inflator kit i feel safe. 25,000 no flats yet - pay attention to what you driver over. plus you have tire pressure indication and monthly equipment health report from OnStar to your email to alert you to trends. this is a common approach now for weight reduction, also common in Corvettes.

12. ghostman1

ghostman1 New Member

Car:
    g8 gt 2009
    Mods:
    none
    The cruze TD is a joint venture between GM Europe (Opel) and Fiat. i read this in Car and Driver. This engine has been in use for about 15 years already as Opel (mainland) and Vauxhall (UK).

here is techie description of the AF-40 six speed transmission (obviously plucked from the REgal drive train, also built by Opel in Germany):

2011 AISIN-WARNER AF40-6 SIX-SPEED FWD/AWD AUTOMATIC (MDK)

Vehicle Applications
    Buick Regal CXL Turbo

Product Highlights
    High ratio spread of 6.05:1 for optimal fuel economy and smoothness
    Neutral idle feature enhances fuel economy
    Selective Sport Mode
    Manual Shift Control
    Maximum engine torque capacity of 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm)
    Maximum gearbox torque capacity TBD

Overview
    The Aisin-Warner AF40-6 is a compact, lightweight, electronically controlled six-speed automatic transaxle for front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive applications. It is used in the front-drive Buick Regal CXL Turbo (MDK) and the Cadillac SRX equipped with the 2.8L V-6 VVT turbo (MXE). A high ratio spread of 6.05:1 helps deliver optimal fuel economy, while also supporting smooth, quiet highway performance.

The MXE version has a higher torque capacity of 332 lb.-ft. (450 Nm) vs. the MDK’s 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm).

A unique combination of a conventional five-pinion planetary gear set and a compound Ravignaux gearset – known as a Le Pelletier arrangement – makes the AF40-6 very lightweight and compact. Shifts are managed by a sophisticated transmission control module (TCM) that oversees clutch-to-clutch actuation, while gear changes are accomplished by one clutch engaging the instant the clutch from the previous gear disengages.

The TCM is located inside the transmission housing, which reduces complexity and provides a consistent environment that promotes greater durability. It also enables special features including driver-selectable manual-shift mode and sport mode. The manual-shift mode allows the driver to control gear shifts, while the sport mode alters the shifting pattern to deliver a more performance-oriented driving experience.

Additional details of the AF40-6 include:
    Lightweight die-cast aluminum housing
    Neutral idle feature, which helps reduce internal temperature and enhances fuel economy
    High-pressure clutch hydraulic control system delivers smoother, more immediate gear shift feel
    “Filled for lifeâ€￾ low-friction oil

The AF40-6 uses a six-element, dual-stage torque converter with a lock-up clutch that helps optimize fuel economy.

13. zembu

zembu New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2003
    If I weren't concerned with depreciation...

I'd buy one of these in a second. My '03 jetta wagon is still a fantastic car and there's no proof that a Cruze would be safer (this is the only argument I could truly see making a dent in my "never bought a new car, never will" mentality)...
    But it sure is nice looking.
    :)

14. anomalophobe

anomalophobe New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    I just bought my 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel yesterday - fortunately, I have the GM Supplier discount available along with the USAA member discount . . . my car has the Convenience Package, Enhanced Safety Package, and a front license plate bracket.

Here is the breakdown:

Base MSRP = $24,885
    Colors & Options = $1,185
    Delivery & Handling = $810
    Total MSRP = $26,880
    GM Supplier Price = $26,197
    Current Offers = -$1,000
    Net Price = $25,197
    USAA Discount = -$750
    Final Price = $24,447

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  15. GotDiesel?

GotDiesel? New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
    Got one as well

anomalophobe I am in Lenexa KS X VW TDI Diesel Tech and I just got my Cruze last week!

16. vwgtiglx

vwgtiglx New Member

Car:
    2004 VW R32, 2014 Chevy Cruze TD
    I am a VW enthusiast since 1977 when I bought the first Rabbit diesel the dealer sold. I've driven nothing but VW's since then. My current VW's are a 2001 GTI GLX and a 2004 R32. On October 2nd, I bought a new Chevy Cruze TD. Does that make me a traitor? The Price I paid is available on request.

OneHawk likes this.
  17. thesheet

thesheet New Member

Car:
    nissan altima
    interested but....

No manual

I'd prefer independent rear suspension.

Otherwise it looks like an excellent car!

I can't get away from taking off the new Golf or the current Passat from my short list.

Just waiting to see if Mazda figures out problems with its diesel and then I'll make my choice.

thesheet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
    Zaviertdi likes this.
  18. vwgtiglx

vwgtiglx New Member

Car:
    2004 VW R32, 2014 Chevy Cruze TD

19. usernamehere

usernamehere Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM
    Mods:
    Factory CAM welded up and reground @293,387 It started!
    http://www.vmmotori.it/en/

20. usernamehere

usernamehere Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM
    Mods:
    Factory CAM welded up and reground @293,387 It started!