VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Hi All - New Touran owner

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Andy_C 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have just got a 2005 Touran SE 1.9 TDI 140PS, I bought of my parents knowing that it had an issue with turbo. I thought it would be the turbo vanes that would need cleaning but my dad tells me that he has already had this done at the garage, as well as the EGR Valve.

The car isn't in limp mode, it just seems to be restricted, it doesn't like revving past 2.5k, but every now and then it boost like made then it goes into limp mode. Turn the engine off and on again and its back to under boosting. Could this just be the turbo needs replacing due to a faulty actuator?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

#4 ·
not been here for a little while... but a small update.

I removed the turbo last weekend (bigger job than expected) and split the turbo to see the internal condition and see if the issues was the well known 'Sticking Vanes' but there was much build up insidew... but the fans under the vanes were split and fragmented, there was also play in the main turbine it'self.

I decided to bite the bullet and I purchased a reconditioned unit from Midlands Turbo for a total of £330

I started fitting the NEW turbo Saturday Morning, by the end of the day the Turbo was and all bolted up with oil feed and oil return all connected up, EGR cooler back in place and connected up. Sunday I was back out there and finished the job (so I thought), started the car car up and it sounded like a tractor (exhaust blowing), I hadn't done the clamp up tight enough that holds the exhaust onto the turbo, so did this and it was alot better, but still blowing a bit.

Will be back out there tonight after work as the only thing it could be now is a manifold bolt that I have quite done tight enough.

If anyone is thinking of doing this themselves (like me)I would just have another think.... I've saved myself £700 doing it myself, but it's been anything but simple and straight forward. It took me 1 whole day to get the old one off (started at 10am and finished 6pm), and 2 days to get it back on.

If anyone has got any questions then just away.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.