Hi all, and do I have a problem! Stalls when I step on pedal

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by kercort, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kercort

kercort New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Awesome website! Lots of great info.!
    I'm up in Farmington, NY and loving our winter(?) so far. Its been over 50 here for the last couple days. Anyway, my 2006 Jetta TDI is stalling out when I step on the pedal. It starts and idles fine but when I try to shift into gear and hit the pedal the rpms drop way down and it will stall out. I changed the fuel filter (which needed to be done anyway), but it didn't help. Btw the car has a bit over 99,000 miles on it. Any ideas? I can't drive my car at all! :panic:
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Does it rev in neutral? Is it an auto? Or dsg? Or manual? Any fault codes logged?

welcometomyturbodies
  3. kercort

kercort New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It's a manual and doesn't rev well in neutral (rough), and no fault codes.
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Have you popped off the boost pipe to the intake and checked the asv is wide open?
  5. kercort

kercort New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  6. kercort

kercort New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Just went out to start the car to check things out and it starts fine as before but stalls out after a second or two. Still no idiot ligts going on.
  7. healthfreak79

healthfreak79 New Member

Car:
    2012 passat se
    How do you find the fault codes?
  8. teddy2k5

teddy2k5 New Member

Car:
    VW Golf GT-TDI 2006
    Hi mate you will need to get it pluged it to a vag-com that will tell you if any faults are or have been recorded so just try or ring you local garage
  9. rundm

rundm New Member

Car:
    06 jetta tdi
    Mine had a problem with stalling on acceleration. Would start up great and as long as you did not hit the throttle much it would run. Step on the throttle a little hard and would start to stumble and sputter. The mechanic found the fuel lines to be plugged. He cleaned them and car is running perfectly now. Hope this helps.
  10. kercort

kercort New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks rundm, I ended up towing the car to a garage and they said it was a bad cam. I'll be towing it to my brother's house (I'm in an apartment), and I'll do the job myself; they were going to charge around $1300 to do the job. Just too much when I also thought I need to do the timing belt too which would have tacked on another $400 or so on top of that price.