Help with particulate filter replacement, jetta TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Jettadti2009, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Jettadti2009

Jettadti2009 New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    Have a 2009 jetta TDI, one of the first sold in the states. Has 120,000 miles. Dealership says I need a new particulate filter ( one piece design) at BIG bucks. If you have any help on lower cost options, rebuilder, exchange parts, etc... If I knew this when I bought it, I might not have. Any help will be appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It's very possible it does need replacement. I don't see why you can't use the 2 piece design.

The car is so new that I'm not aware of any aftermarket solutions other than a delete. See the DPF FAQ article and talk to malone tuning about programming to delete it. You can't just cut it out. FYI, the timing belt is also due, check your email.
  3. Jettadti2009

Jettadti2009 New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    Can you give me a quote for a 2 piece replacement?
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Before you replace it, I would call around to truck DPF cleaning places and see if they'll do it. Normally the core is cleaned out of the car. I don't see why you couldn't cut the DPF assembly open, remove the core, and put it back, but I don't think anyone has done this yet.

The front catalyst is about $2,000 and the back is about $500. Yes there are valuable metals in there but even still it's quite expensive. I would want to have a firm diagnosis before replacing it or going with the alternative, deleting it.

Please read this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm for more on the system, the second page has some info on deletion. This is of course, emissions illegal and I don't know what kind of inspection they have in MA.

The delete pipe is around $800 and I don't know the price of a DPF delete only tune but a regular chip tune is a few hundred.
  5. Greg Roles

Greg Roles New Member

Car:
    2008 VW GT TDI 170
    By far the cheapest way to get a replacement is to buy one fronm the UK, type VW DPF into ebay UK and you will get them ahowing up from 400-800 british pounds. the size of the pipe will dramatically increase the cost, so perhaps you could find someone willing to chop off the pipe, as you can use your's and have it welded on.

Finding a core is tricky, and I am in negotiations with China to try and get replacement cores, but to say it's difficult to get a straight answer is an understatement.

I am also about to start testing a high flow, non blocking DPF core in my MKV GT Euro TDI, and along with a DPF delete tune, this may hopefully give the performance and economy benefits, whilst still retaining a DPF of sorts, with minimal visible smoke, the main concern these days. Like a high flow cat, this open ended design is less effective at trapping soot that the stock closed cell degign ( 90% vs 50-60% ), but with a good tune I don't see why we can't get it real close.

Afraid it's going to be a 2012 thing, so you will be best served looking on ebay in the UK. The 1.9 / 2.0 in the various hp levels all had the same design for the first gen DPF all in one.
  6. syntheticreality

syntheticreality New Member

Car:
    2010 Cup Edition
    I have a dpf with about 10k miles on it. I'd consider selling it. Shoot me an email (No PM me).
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011